Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

300 Utility hydraulic questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
300 dave
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi gang,
My 300 utility has a hydraulic problem, hoping someone can set me straight.
While running, it periodical makes a groaning noise
and squirts fluid out the mounting flange below my right knee; that is the flange for the lines to/from the pump. It is blowing fluid all over the console, battery etc. Fluid is whiteish and most likely needs changed out. What cause the pump to grain and pressureize the lines every minute or so?? Thank much in advance
d

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pilot valve or its screen (small) is at the limit of plugged up. I believe it is located in the first control valve attached to the reservoir. the leak is different, and is an Oring in the fitting. Jim

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

300 dave wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:36:29 11/10/12) Hi gang,
My 300 utility has a hydraulic problem, hoping someone can set me straight.
While running, it periodical makes a groaning noise
and squirts fluid out the mounting flange below my right knee; that is the flange for the lines to/from the pump. It is blowing fluid all over the console, battery etc. Fluid is whiteish and most likely needs changed out. What cause the pump to grain and pressureize the lines every minute or so?? Thank much in advance
d

And the white is water in the hydraulic fluid.

300 dave
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes guys thank that was quick I did not finish lunch !
The water I will deal with in a week or so when I can get it under roof and heated for a couple days.
Beside draining, can I flush the lines with anything ? hot air blower? any thing in addition to just draining?
Jim, this pilot valve thing, will that be in the IT manual? Location? I would like to find it with out taking half the machine apart. Also, does that system pressurize every so often by itself automatic
or what? Why does it pressurize the system every minute or so. Is it compensating for lost holding pressure in the cylinder?
I use this machine for hauling wood (now) snow plowing and garden plowing. Just has the one cylinder.
I will be back in about 4 hours.
thanks again and WOW!

RPM1941

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would deal with the contaminated fluid right away if you are in a cold area or tractor is outside in freezing or below temp. The water in the oil will freeze up and starve the pump, could damage it badly. It needs to be changed yearly, it will hold some in suspension ok but has chemicals to make it white when its past its limit.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for the parts diagram in caseih.com on line parts catalog. The valve is in the cast iron block between the lever and the reservoir. The issue is that the valve is probably cycling due to contaminated fluid, and partially plugged up screen in the block. Put 300 in the first box. then select hydraulic system, then touch control, then hydraulic system flow control valve... near the bottom of that list. Jim

JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
To add to what others have said, clean the suction screen inside the reservoir under the seat.
JimB

300 dave
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks to all again, Does the valve box have to be removed from the machine to get it all clean?
Where is the drain for the tank (under seat)?
Will the valve box from a 300 Row crop Fit on and work? Aside from the handles being a bit difficult to use. I have one on the bench.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The drain is on the right front bottom corner. it allows oil to run down the side and under. (I put a short length of pipe nipple in the hole quickly so as to keep mess to reasonable levels). I believe the valve will need to be taken off. The reservoir does not One screen to clean is in the reservoir. Jim

300 dave
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HI and thanks again Had good weather today (35 outside)so, fluid is like heavy cream, about same color; just off white toward tan.
Got all disconnected and dripping out, FOund drain plug under cylinder mount. Valve is in shop ready to be hosed and fixed.
So questions are, 1)where is the screen in the resivoir that needs to be cleaned and how to get it out? 2)Why NOT pull the resivoir box ? It is a few bolts. The gasket could probably be made from the "in a tube" type stuff, temperatures allowing of course. Or is that overkill?

350u
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 300 Utility hydraulic questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

300 dave wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:41:37 11/14/12) HI and thanks again Had good weather today (35 outside)so, fluid is like heavy cream, about same color; just off white toward tan.
Got all disconnected and dripping out, FOund drain plug under cylinder mount. Valve is in shop ready to be hosed and fixed.
So questions are, 1)where is the screen in the resivoir that needs to be cleaned and how to get it out? 2)Why NOT pull the resivoir box ? It is a few bolts. The gasket could probably be made from the "in a tube" type stuff, temperatures allowing of course. Or is that overkill?

Yes the strainer is in the resivior and have to take the top off to remove it. It is very heavy an engine hoist works good to lift it off. I purchased the gasket from my IH dealer, if I remember right it wasn't too expensive. The "gasket in a tube" product works well too in applications like this. As far as the fluid spraying all over, the pipe is probably cracked at the mounting flange. They are brazed in from the factory, you may be able to "slobber" more on to seal it??? It was a little work and a lot of measuring, but I cut the flange off made a new one and welded it back on to the slightly shorter pipes.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.