Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

steering box side cover on 641

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kentrx1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok...finally got the steering column removed out of my 641 and discovered, just as i was told here, the top thrust bearing is totally trashed..nothing but a hull of it left. I was wanting to remove the side covers so i could lift the shaft out and clean out the metal bearings, shavings , even some water in the bottom of the box and check the condition of the lower thrust bearing but can not get the side covers to budge. Removed the two bolts, loosened off the adjusting nut, and tapped with a screwdriver and small hammer on the edge of the side cover, but it never moved a bit. Before I get a bigger hammer and risk busting something, wanted to ask for some help! thanks to anyone who can give me some tips/advice.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

those adjuster studs are threaded for a reason.. Wink

kentrx1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i tried turning them both ways as far as i could. do you screw them in or out to get it off. i assumed you would screw them in so it would push the cover off, but they got so tight i was concerned about going further.

kentrx1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i said them.....what i am referring to is the adjuster screw on each side. concerned i would strip it out or break something it got so tight. thanks soundguy (or anyone else!) who can confirm i am going about this the right way!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have you got the sector arms off?

they have to come off

the adjusters are studs in a slip fitting on the sector

the sector gear and cover exit out the same path.. which is why the sector arms must be off the other side.

i've marked up a drawing of the steering box on a 640

the side covers have a lip inside .. it may be siezed a pit. tap on the ears to rotate them and get themmoving.

penetrant will help.. just pull them and the adjusters togeter dragging the secrtor gear out. if they are seized it will be the easiest way..

kentrx1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i was under the impression i could just pull the sector gear out a little and leave the sector arms on and that would allow the center shaft to be removed giving me access to the lower thrust bearing and room to clean out the bottom of the box. the seals on the sector shafts do not appear to be leaking any and i don't plan on replacing them. please correct me if i am wrong! thanks again.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you might cheat both sector gears out enough to pull the ballnut assy.. however you are 95% of the way there doing so.. why not just pull them?

i thik your course of action will turn a routine rebuild job into a hard one..

your call.

I've rebuilt many of these boxes.... generally not difficult.. about the biggest issue is sometimes cheap chinese bearing cages that crumble.. OE.. ballnut assy that are soo worn the ballut cocks to the side.. or sector gear teeth profiles that wear to a point.. etc. broken adjuster stud holder ears.. etc.. stuff like that.

otherwise they are pretty bulletproof. and straight forward to service

kentrx1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks soundguy. your help is much appreciated!

Keith Williams
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kentrx1

"the seals on the sector shafts do not appear to be leaking any"

Hate to tell ya this but they are not leaking cause there wasn't any lube in there!
Those seals are what goes first. Then the lube comes out. Then the bearings go!! A few wash jobs and any trace of the old lube is long gone.
HTH
Keith

kentrx1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

these sides are frozen solid. have tried using a dull chisel to try and twist the covers, have soaked with penetrating oil, have tightened the adjusting screw as tight as possible trying to "push" the lid off.....nothing has even budged. guess it is the top thrust bearing replacement only.

kentrx1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it had quite a bit of oil in the box actually. was probably 90 weight and very dirty with some water mixed in, but was not empty. no sign of leaks at side seals....they were both dry.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: steering box side cover on 641 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once you have the steering arms off and the bolts out of the cap take a soft face hammer and slug on the ends of the sector shafts. That will drive the caps out. Then you have to screw the slotted adjuster bolts all the way in to the cap to remove the cap. Then pull the sectors out.
Clean all the parts and the inside of the box thouroughly.
Go ahead and replace the sector seals while you have it apart.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.