Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was at an auction today. I bought a IH 37 square baler. It is in pretty good shape. I only gave $350 for it. My youngest brother has some older IH stuff and was wanting a small square baler. So I will see if he wants it.

I had not seen a IH 37 baler until today. I have been around IH 46 and 47 balers. They did OK but the knotters are harder to get working right than a NH or JD baler. Have any of you used/owned a IH 37 baler???

Super Steve
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yup. if you were closer id give it to you. i fought with it all season trying to get it to tie a damn bale consistantly.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks like the old 280 Hesston swather I used to have, sitting next to it in the line. How I hated operating that thing.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 27 and I love it. There is no need to fear I.H. knotters. You're a mechanic... just look at it! The only differences are the twine is cut somewhere else in the cycle, and the bale movement pulls the knot from the billhook... that's it! A wealth of knowledge can be had if you have someone turn the flywheel through a tie cycle while you watch it. You'll see that it's actually a simpler system, with fewer moving parts. It unbolts and swings up for service, just like any other knotter. There was nothing magical about it, but I believe many people feel that way about it. The old 45 had a quirk that gave I.H. knotters a stigma until the end of production. It would miss a tie at full PTO revolution. The tension system was inadequate to the task of keeping the twine taught at the very instant the needles started their down stroke. On the way up, the twine is laid firmly into the notch in the twine disc. If this tension is not maintained, the twine will follow the needle (briefly) when it starts back down. This momentary slack sometimes lifts the twine from the notch before the disc turns and catches it. Many people dislike 45s because of this, when all they have to do in most cases is reduce PTO speed and increase ground speed. The other reason is the 45's tongue doesn't swing.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fritz: I have worked on IH knotters before. They just are not as easy to get set right. They are more temperamental than the NH or JD knotter. They are harder to adjust too. Some of the things are not adjustable on them that you can do on a NH or JD knotter.

tbish
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wiyh an ih u have to make sure the twine knives are sharp i didnt have trouble with the knotters always had 2 adjust the knives after sharping with shims move it closer to twine

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The twine knife has to be shimmed to exactly the right distance and be kept very sharp. Also the twine has to be under the right amount of tension.

I had an IH 27 for a while but got tired of fooling with it, bought a 24T and didn't have any problems.

mn skinner

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

37 and a 47 are the same thing except the tounge is shorter on the 37 andit doesnt have a cover over the knotters. both are good balers. sharp twine knives and 60 strokes per minute on the plunger and it will hammer out nice bales. you got it for scrap price so it was a win -win purchase.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad bought a new one in 1967, worked good for two years and then the battle began, had a good baler man that could get it to tie good for 1500 bales or so and then it would start missing again, finally traded it on a new 425 IH and cured the problem. Neighbor had a 47 that worked better. I personally don't want anything more to do with a 37, Dad considered buying a 24T instead of the 37 which would have been a better decision.

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one and I really like it. I bale anywhere from 200-2,000 bales a year with it. I'm guessing I have baled about 6,000 bales with it since I got it and it has never missed a bale yet. That is a nice, clean unit. The fellow you bought it for should be very happy with it.

MARK ROBKE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had mine for 16(?) yrs. Replaced a few brgs, pto u jt. Usualy now a few hundred bales a yr. Used to do about 1500 a yr. Works ok,but sometimes bales are not same length; sometimes never misses a knot , other times misses a few in a 100. Ok for a small opertion. I have put out nearly 200 in an hr in heavy hay, but now mostly use it for 2nd,3rd cutting alfalfa.
From your picsit appears to have origional tires on it. Could you tell me the sizes? Mine has car tire on it, and does not sit perfectly level.THANKS,MARK.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not look on the baler but I did get the original Operators book. It lists the Left tire as a 6.40 x 15 6-ply implement tire, 40 psi.
The right tire as a 5.00 x 15 4-ply implement tire, 28 psi.

If you need anything else let me know.

Ol' Gimpy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought an IH 37 square baler today. Cheap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD,used one for years.All of the old IH balers were very particular of twine quality,though."Thin spots" in some twines would set the knotters in a fit,throw off the twine tension until the "Thin spot" worked its way through.Make sure the plunger stop dog is free,and it has the right shear bolts,also the upper and lower hay dog springs are intact.I would use another 37 again if need arose.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.