Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT Pet door

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm finishing up the mud room I started last Christmas. I'm thinking about putting in a pet door for our Jack Russell terrier. This is my wife's baby and she wears a cable tie at night when she goes out. Too many critters running around that she would have to chase, so she must be tied up. Will the doggie door work with the dog tied to a cable? Not looking forward to getting up in the middle of the night and having to walk out of a warm house into a freezing mud room to let the dog in and out. Thanks, Chris

Wheat Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have four house dogs, and one of them is a Jack Russel. Our doggie door goes outside into a dog house and turns 90 and then out into a fenced yard. Keeps unwanteds from coming in and keeps the wind/snow from blowing in. There is always a chance the cable gets hooked on something.

S.Crum
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pondered doing this for dingbat dog but snapped to reality one morning when I had a skunk nosing around on the back porch.

flambeauone
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put one in for my bassett hound a few years back. Seems though he use to stay inside and look out on cold days when I wasnt home. Power bill went through the roof for a month then he lost dog door priviledges while I was away. Lol Dog doors are nice though if they are set up well, I like the idea of an entrance that turns 90 degrees.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can buy one with an electronic door latch, that only opens with a FOB that hangs on the collar. They work pretty slick.

KIP in MX
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have cats and have a pet door from outside into garage and another into house via laundry/mud room. All was well until the coons figured it out. We've trapped six coons in the laundry room and SWMBO has informed me that she has new coons coming in (I'm working in the West Indies). So far the skunks and possums haven't used the pet doors, but neighbor's cat has.
Anyway, I don't think it would be a good idea to have a pet on a cable going through pet door. Too much chance on the cable getting tangled up.
As 504 says below, for a dog maybe one with the electronic collar opener would work good for you.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those critters around can figure out a pet door about as fast as you can install one. Best to get up and do the door thing than to let those critters into your house.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Other critters can/will come through the door. My dad had one in his shop that lead into an insulted house for cats - no door to the interior of the shop, but you could lift the hinged roof from inside.

Guess who took up residence in the thing? A family of Pepe LePews! Skunks in your house would be a really bad thing.

ohiojim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

best thing since the ball point pen,..wouldn't be without one,..i also live out in the country...if it's a good russel it'll keep the varmints out, my russel keeps this place clean of everything from grinnys to coon...

henry0
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be also called a critter door. We had a possum come thru ours, and a squirrel. Cat used it more than dogs. He brought dead mice and moles in as gifts. I also believe that live mice used it in the winter time to get into the house.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've installed a couple of pet doors that have an automatic opener like a garage door. It has a sensor on the dog's collar that only opens when the dog is close to the door. Another animal couldn't possibly get through unless it came through with the dog.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a pet door from outside into our garage for a couple of cats.

Possums figured it out first. My wife would herd them out of the garage where I'd be waiting with a 12 guage. It happened so many times, I started calling my wife "The Possum Herder".

Then racoons figured it out. But that's a whole different story.

colophil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: OT Pet door Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not trust a cable. Fence in some yard and if you have a problem with other critters look at a solo pet door solopetdoors.com. your dog wears a magnet and door will not open for others. Phil

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.