Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4240 hydralic issue?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
travz500
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i got a 81 4240 with 7200 hours and the hydralics are starting to whine some when gets warm and also the steering gets hard to turn when you have a bale on the front loader it wont turn like it used to have changed the filter and checked the sump screen and it was clean its a quad range the oil light never comes on. could this be the hydralic pump going bad? trying to determine whether to call the dealership to come up and look at it or take it to them

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stick a gauge into a remote outlet and see what the standby pressure is, you may need to turn the stroke valve screw in a bit to increase the pressure up to the 2250 mark

travz500
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Tim but I dont have a gauge sounds like I may just need to call the dealership

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

travz500 wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:18:54 11/11/12) thanks Tim but I dont have a gauge sounds like I may just need to call the dealership

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a gauge than have a dealer tech test the psi.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can pick up a good 5,000psi gauge for about $35 screw a fitting on it and you have one..dealer service call plus an hour or so $$$$,,if you were closer you could borrow mine I have 4 or 5 of them ,,loan out to the neighbors a lot...

travz500
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well ok i may just do that then is there a certain kind of gauge? like something tractor supply or orchelins would have? then just hook it up to the remotes in back?
thanks guys will do this week and try it out was afraid i may have a hydralic pump going out or something

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a gauge for $10.99
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_48190_48190?cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-Shopzilla-_-Gauges>Filled%20Gauges-_-53617

DEEREMEYER1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a regular 2 1/4 inch or so pressure gauge will work fine. Spend a few extra bucks and get a good liquid-filled one and use bushings to thread it into a standard SCV hose tip. Of course the preferred way to check standby pressure is at the priority valve on the RH side of the tractor with a jumper hose and DR quick-connect. The pressure adjustment is at the hydraulic pump itself, so if you're plugged in at the side, you can watch the gauge while you adjust the stroke-control valve instead of needing a helper to watch the gauge at the rear. If you do plug into an SCV, while you're at it, you can check to see if any of your SCVs are leaking up or down. Plug the gauge in like normal with the lever in neutral. If there is pressure at the gauge, the pressure side of the valve is leaking. Stroke the lever to put pressure to the gauge and then return the lever to neutral and if the pressure drops off rapidly, you have a return leak. You'll have to repeat the procedure for both couplers in each SCV since there are two pressure valves and two return valves per SCV.

travz500
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so where is the screw i need to turn if its low? do I put the lever all the way forward and lock it up there to check pressure? and one last question why does this happen what makes it low? age and wear? abuse? people I got it from seem to be very meticulous about maintenace and have very nice equipment

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Screw is on frt hyd pump on LH side in frt of radiator. Loosen jam nut (#36) and screw in (CCW)(#37). Wear on hyd components causes these adjustments to be needed. Hyd lever needs to moved in the correct direction depending on which plug-in in the breakaway coupler is utilized. Move lever as if operating a one-way cyl.

Last edited by Tx Jim on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:24 am; edited 2 times in total
travz500
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so if i am looking at this correctly its on the left
side and on the bottom am I correct? thanks for the
information SIR!!

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: 4240 hydralic issue? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you are correct LH side bottom,front of pump

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.