Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3pt Grain Drill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Schulz

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone converted a John Deere 8ft FB grain drill to 3pt would like to do it my tractor should handle it a Int.656. If anyone has done this please let me know the pros and cons.
Thanks David

Tim(nj)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

first question is why? It is possible to do, you'd simply remove the tongue and attach an a-frame for 3-point in its place. I don't know if you'd still want a way to disengage the seeder drive or not. That might get tricky if it's a clutch lift. On con I can think of is that the drill won't follow the lay of the land as well on 3-point. Front of the tractor goes down, drill lifts up a little, back of the tractor goes down, drill digs a little deeper. Another concern I have is if the frame of an FB is rugged enough to pick up and put down repeatedly without failing.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Tim. If you want a 3pt drill why not buy a "TRUE" 3pt drill.

David Schulz

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What would be the difference between mine and a TRUE 3pt drill other then the cost. I just think it would work better on my small odd shape field not so much turning and running over the seeded ground

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I understand the thought for getting into corners to plant, but seems it would have more negatives than positives in the big scheme of things.

Forgetting it in the ground and turning too sharp would be devistating to one not designed for 3pt use, the side-load would make a lot of rumples....

--->Paul

David Schulz

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I didn't think about the side pressure thats why I posted here thanks for the input

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Frame would not stand ont time lifting if boxes filled and you would still need the wheels for depth control plus driving the seeding mechanisem. There is a reason the AC snap coupler drills did not go over and they were designed as a mounted drill.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 6' IH drill thats 3pt.works ok,you must lift at every end,or every corner if going 'round n round'.Leave it in gear.'Lifted' with an H farmall.

David Schulz

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Are there any low budget 3pt drills out there they must not be very popular.I would need to leave it down to go around slow curves.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never seen those sort of wheels under an older IHC drill up here, is that something that came with it, or cobbled together from a different drill?

What drives the drill meters, those thin wheels?

Actually, I don't see any seed openning disks, or seed tubes?????? Really? Does a drill work without those in your climate, or is it just not showing up in the pics?

Interesting.

--->Paul

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a 'press drill'.The press wheels were moved from behind to underneath.You are observant!The tubes and disk openers are gone.they were removed because they were all broken,missing,etc.The thin wheels turn the metering shaft.Since we irrigate everything,I simply let the seed fall,the 'harrow,coveres.They I make corrugetes/water'marks',which covers the seed.This was a horse drill,them converted to a 'tractor' drill,then to a 3 point.Steve

Tim(nj)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Marliss and Tye are two companies that made quite a few smaller 3-point drills 20-30 years ago. . . but neither is a current production brand. AGCO still has some parts for Tye, and Sukup made the Marliss line until recently, so parts are still available, but for how long?

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I noticed your very dry ground, in other pics too.

Irrigation, that would make your drill work just fine, makes perfect sense then.

You ever plant beans with it, or only small grains? I've not been a fan of drilled beans for me, but some do it around here.

--->Paul

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We only plant pinto beans,not soys.No soys are grown in Co.Pintos are planted in (30") rows.Only grain is planted with a drill.In fact,most grain is 'spread/brodcast with a fert spreader.We then cover with a roller harrow/culti- mulcher,then 'marked'.

4020-101
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 3pt Grain Drill Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks like it would be a nice rig to plant alfalfa

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.