Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming home ....... JD 40-SP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Made it on time for breakfast this morning:
Went to pick up the 40 yesterday morning crossing Oklahoma from Mangum,OK to the Grove, OK area. 6 hours on interstates and turnpikes going up.Rain and thunderstorms behind me, and 30 -50 mph plus southerly winds all around me, gusts to more than 70 miles at times. Left Grove about 5pm crawling up and down hills on secondary roads with my 10 ft wide load (plenty of locals seeing me but nobody stopped me at night...lol)25-45 mph, and several surprise local detours adding another hour on the way back. Round trip about 790 miles.
Pick #9 (and the kids..lol) from previous owner/seller. He got it with the land out of a probate sale of a 86 yr old farmer. It sat a while (trees in the reel)and the header jack was not used, but we finally got to jack it up from both sides inch by inch and loaded her. Radiator hose is completely chewed away, and it needs some repair on the bottom below the elevator (see pic), but I think it will run with a little TLC. When fueling on the way home, I found the little stow away (last pic)on the trailer....Wonder if "it" ate my radiator hose...???
Happy Ralph in OK.

Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like you have a project there Ralph, one thing that concerns me though. What is the chain over the operators platform holding?

Jason Ulerick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have JD 40 just like that I have been working on it for a year and a half I wish I had more time to work on it it runs good and is in decent shape the worst problem I have is the grain tank I have has rust holes the size of a pen all over the bottom thanks for the picture I really like the old john deere combines

Jason Ulerick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have JD 40 just like that I have been working on it for a year and a half I wish I had more time to work on it it runs good and is in decent shape the worst problem I have is the grain tank I have has rust holes the size of a pen all over the bottom thanks for the picture I really like the old john deere combines

1206SWMO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph,glad to see you got the 40 JD bought and safely home...Grove,OK is about 105 miles from me..Believe it or not I was in the Grove area 2 out of the last 3 Saturdays..Combines are sure fun to haul in a strong wind unless its behind you..

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It WAS "holding" the header up along with a wedged piece of wood where the hydraulic cylinder go. I did forget to bring my manual one. I usually keep the header up, to be sure I clear things on the ground (had one really tight tight bridge under construction with barriers and lots of poles sticking up that I met coming). Definitely southern engineering. LOL

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I knew from your "going to the auctions" posts that you live in the far SW corner of MO....gotta meet up some time....!
BTW: I'll be in the northern KC area soon ... picking up "something" (LOL) ....

rkc9700
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wow , i remeberthose, first combine i ever ran. my uncles had two of those, one with a platform , the other , a corn head. , then we started row cropping and used those tille we got a 45 w/ cab. big , big step up. 2 weekends ago we harvested that whole farm inin short evening and half a day on sunday with 3 larger rotary machines, they would be amazed in the (progress)??? wow, such a difference

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I jack the header up and duct tape a piece of 1 1/2" angle iron to the cylinder to hold them up. Course you have to figure out length of angle before you get out in the sticks.

pea_grower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph

Was in Vinson today. Came by the Sandyland station coming home, and down the road, saw a nice looking JD 40, loaded on a trailer. As nice looking as the pics.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bummer!!! What the pits!! And I was home in the morning
...left early pm to go to medical appointment!! Let me know
ahead of time when you come by ...!! 580-706-1315.
Ralph.
BTW, what brought you to the metropolis of Vinson??

pea_grower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went to a cattle/forage extension meeting. Had about 35 people. Quadrupled the population.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Coming home ....... JD 40-SP Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Vinson, wow....
Like I said, if you ever head this way holla ahead of time!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.