Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gib key puller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
756puller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anybody have a good way to pull those god awful gib keys out?

Berne/MA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make a slide hammer and weld it to a pair of vice-grips.

JerryD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to GOOGLE IMAGES and type in "gib key puller"
There are a lot of good ideas there.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off you are supposed to drive the hub on the shaft a little ways before you pull the key, just hope it isn't rusted on. I made a puller using a Snap On slide hammer. Used a couple of fine thread nuts welded together that screwed on the slide rod and welded a three quarter nut onto the end of those. Put the hole in the nut over the projection on the key and pulled them right out.

JMS./MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used my OTC slide hammer on vice grips. IIRC, threads did not match but I removed the VG adjusting bolt and welded the proper nut in its place. Used it only once, slide hammer still works with original tip, internal bearing tool.

VernMI

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I drilled and tapped the end of the gib key and used a slide puller. It is best to first push the hub onto the shaft slightly to help break it free.

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HF, and others sell a slide hammer kit, that has all the adapters, to attach a slide hammer, to vice grips, gear puller, etc. One of the handiest set-ups around, IMHO!

Scott 730
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the right way to do it.

www.hitnmiss.com

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scot is showing the correct tool... as far as it goes.
I usually weld a piece of 1/2" threaded rod to the head of the key and slide a deep 1/2" socket of an appropriate size over the rod and key head. Then put some washer and a nut on and torque it up... then drive the sprocket/sheave away from the key. The bar shown is supposed to follow the same principle in that you tension it up and drive the sprocket away... when it works. Usually it bends the head of the key over.... or breaks it off. Then you start welding. Basics... drive the sprocket away as you can't pull the key. You just want to hold the key while driving the sprocket away.
Now... if ya got the sprcket driven hard against the bearing... you've got my pity. That will take a lot of pulling and welding.

Rod

Tech 7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember fighting those beggars when we had a New Holland combine. Local dealer was good to loan us those "Russian Punches" as I used to call them, to quickly and easily cut the heads off of the gib keys. Then as others said,the welder came into play. Don't miss them or the NH combines at all.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: gib key puller Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I kinda like the Gib key. I know they're devils to remove... but I've never seen on that was properly fitted come loose, regardless of the circumstances.... I can't say the same about straight keys.

Rod

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.