Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old radio TV vacuum tubes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John D Smith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I scrounged up 18 or 20 old vacuum tubes last week and realized that I don"t know a thing about price and market for them. Has anyone out there know anything about these things?? I would like to make a buck or two off them as my drill press needs a chuck.
John

timcasbolt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked to see what they're selling for on ebay?

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know if it is true or not but I was once told they are popular with the ham radio folks.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hard market any more but yes there are a few who still can use them if they are the right ones. I sold off all I had 25 or so years ago and back then I had around 500 of them.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The old guitar and bass amps used vaccuum tubes. The only replacement tubes available are sovtek tubes made in russia. The old us made tubes are pretty sought after if they are the right ones.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends what the tubes are. Some are used in older ham (amateur radio) equipment. Like us there are some guys into restoring old models. Workable tubes could be valuable. You might try craigs lists or ebay. (Yeah, I"m one of those ham guys, but not into restoring older models.)

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is an old 23 channel Tram CB base unit worth anything?

Gene

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably could be modified for Ham radio on the adjacent ham radio band... If it has sideband, it would be sought after by some hams. Again, try craig's list, ebay.

John D Smith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

E-Bay! why didn't I think of that?? I quess my brain is having a senior moment, or something!
John

Scott-SD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If theres anyone around you that rebuilds old radios. they might like them.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a base/mobile CB that uses tubes. It has a tube used as vibrator that works like todays inverter tech. Changes 12v dc to AC then back to about 300v DC.

It has crystals and only gets a few channels.

Anyone want to make an offer. No idea if it works. Like the old saying about tractors, it worked the last time I used it;)

The problem wiht tubes is they leak.
George

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I collect and repair old tube radios and like previously mentioned, it depends on the tube. Go to a tube seller site (Google to find) and type in the numbers that you have. Some of them are not worth $1 each. Some tube numbers could be worth hundreds of dollars each. Just don't plan on retiring yet. Chances are they are worth very little.

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last I checked old vacuum tubes have little value except for specific ones that are sought after. I've got hundreds of them. If valuable, I'd be rich.

It's funny how things have changed. Even up to the early 80s our local Jamesway department store had a tube-tester and new tubes for sale. I've still got two tube-testers here at home. Can't seem to part with them.

Lamar Fudd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a G.E Portacolor Television that still works (first thing I EVER bought with 'time' payments. Where would I get tubes for this? I do have a Regency Imperial Citizens Band Radio that I've stored away after finding out that it was too powerful to use. It's also full of tubes. Is there anywhere that tubes can be sourced from?

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Old radio TV vacuum tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I collect old tube radios (Crosley Super 11, Zenith 11 tube console, Grunow, Hallicrafters, Hammarlund etc etc etc) and have a couple big boxes out in the shop of tubes, but last time I checked they werent worth much at all. Of course, there are a few that are worth a few bucks but despite all I have none seem to be those in demand grrrrrrrrrrrr I still have an old tube tester, I ought to get it out and exercise it now n then. I used to have some old Hi Fi amps (McIntosh, Dyna Kit) and the son has had some guitar amps that used like KT 66 or KT 88 or EL34MP power output tubes, they are like overgrown 6L6's on Steroids lol

John who lives north of Ft Wayne Indiana (Leo) has done some work for me, Id recommend him.....He has a 25 tube Zenith Stratosphere BEAUTIFUL it and the Scott 30 tube ruled the day but had low sales due to their high prices, mostly found in big hotel lobbys etc. They have dual push pull output power amps but no real rare tubes as I recall. I sold my Grigsby Grunow Majestic TRF, they have the rare big light bulb looking 4 pin tubes as I recall, those old TRF radio tubes are rare and worth something, but not all that practical, when the Superhets came on the market their greatly improved performance blew the old TRF sets out of the water

http://johnjeanantiqueradio.com/

ANYBODY HAVE A ZENITH "WALTONS" TOMBSTONE FOR SALE, ID LOVEEEEEEEEEE ONE 7S or 9S I think, they even made an 11S maybe?? but not sure???

As noted, check Flea bay

John T in Indiana
This guy restored my Grunow

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.