Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying to get it to start. Just put in new points and condenser. Don't know the gap. Looks visually the same as before. It fires but will not run. I put wires at 1-2-4-3 with 1 on cap towards rear of tractor. Going counterclockwise

LeoinMI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gap for points is .25. Firing order is 1-2-4-3 CLOCKWISE starting with #1 at rear of distributor. You need to switch #2 & #3 wires according to how you presently have them connected.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I have been searching the forums with my phone all evening in the shop and COULDN"T FIND A THING regarding the firing order and point gap. I guess I didn't know how to use the search cause I'm sure it is on here. I did see ONE post and it said the firing order was CCW with #1 at the front of tractor. hah.

LeoinMI wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:16:12 11/15/12) Gap for points is .25. Firing order is 1-2-4-3 CLOCKWISE starting with #1 at rear of distributor. You need to switch #2 & #3 wires according to how you presently have them connected.

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Confirmed - Gap is .025", Firing order 1243 Clockwise, Number one to the rear on the dizzy.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RTR wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:35:24 11/14/12) Thank you so much! I have been searching the forums with my phone all evening in the shop and COULDN"T FIND A THING regarding the firing order and point gap. I guess I didn't know how to use the search cause I'm sure it is on here. I did see ONE post and it said the firing order was CCW with #1 at the front of tractor. hah.

LeoinMI wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:16:12 11/15/12) Gap for points is .25. Firing order is 1-2-4-3 CLOCKWISE starting with #1 at rear of distributor. You need to switch #2 & #3 wires according to how you presently have them connected.
Well, RTR, if it don't run as you have been told, don't give up..........#1 CAN be any one of the 4 holes in cap.....it just depends on how someone installed the distributor. Rear, front, toward engine, away from engine is all arbitrary. Factory did it one way, but any of the 4 are equally fine.......as said, just depends on how distributor was installed. If one doesn't work for you, just rotate every wire one slot & try again and after 4 tries you will have covered all possibilities.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am thinking here, but wouldn't 1243 in one direction be 1342 in the other. Do the first two pistons come up together?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend who is pretty sharp with all things mechanical told me once that ALL four cylinder motors are 1243.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

David G wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:03:21 11/14/12) I am thinking here, but wouldn't 1243 in one direction be 1342 in the other. Do the first two pistons come up together?
NO! Rolling Eyes

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmalls are 1342, the two outer cylinders come up at the same time and the two inner ones do. I guess you could grind the cam for either firing order.

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The N-series front mount distributor is CCW but the
Hundred series round distributor is CW. I made the
same mistake once on my 850. It only takes once!

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got the firing order right and still won't start. Wonder if the PO changed something?? Looks like I need to go ahead and time it. Anybody in here have a good guidance on timing this tractor. And to think..... I thought I was gonna get by without a manual

Jim.UT wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:18:37 11/15/12) The N-series front mount distributor is CCW but the
Hundred series round distributor is CW. I made the
same mistake once on my 850. It only takes once!

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the way I've got it wired. I will check the points gap tomorrow with a gap gauge. I bought a new one today. I fires right off but backfires and spits and sputters and won't stay running.....or begin to. I never touched the distributor so the timing shouldn't be off. All I did was remove the dist. cap and rotor button and tape over the "dust cap" while painting. Points, plugs, rotor button, condenser, coil, and plug wires are all NEW.

The tractor had sat outside and i worked on it for a little over 1 year before finishing it. It has been a "backburner" project. Is it possible that the valves could have gotten stuck while sitting?? It ran PERFECT when I drove it to where it was in July 2011.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RTR wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:12:53 11/16/12) Here is the way I've got it wired. I will check the points gap tomorrow with a gap gauge. I bought a new one today. I fires right off but backfires and spits and sputters and won't stay running.....or begin to. I never touched the distributor so the timing shouldn't be off. All I did was remove the dist. cap and rotor button and tape over the "dust cap" while painting. Points, plugs, rotor button, condenser, coil, and plug wires are all NEW.

The tractor had sat outside and i worked on it for a little over 1 year before finishing it. It has been a "backburner" project. Is it possible that the valves could have gotten stuck while sitting?? It ran PERFECT when I drove it to where it was in July 2011.

You don't mention the little spring clip that holds the rotor tight. Didja put one of those in there too?

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spring clip? Was the new one supposed to come with one? The rotor button is really tight once put on the center of the distributer. It's actually kinda hard to tell if it is down on it in the correct place it is such a tight fit.

This is my first Ford to fix up, so I really don't know what the spring clip is. I'm used to Farmalls. ha.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 641 spits and sputters - help with firing order, etc Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, now that you have the order down & have tried your RED position, try each of the other 3 positions shown. Same order, but different timing.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.