Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case 1070 transmisison problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss_impalla
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Case 1070 transmisison problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying a Case 1070 that runs fine but will not move. The owner says "The power transmission Solenoid went out. Will start but won't move."
Anyone heard of this? What problems do these tractors usually have and how much does it usually cost to fix them? Any and all info is appreciated because I don't want to buy a huge paper weight.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 transmisison problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To start off, the 1070 were all mechanical, no electronics. Sounds to me the seller is a "fast talker" and sure knows nothing about the tractor.
The first place to consider is the Torque Limiter clutch on the flywheel. When you start the tractor and push the clutch pedal down the tractor will surge. If it is not doing this the center of the Torque Limiter could be stripped out. If there is no hydraulic pressure being delivered from the pump, It will not move, but might try to in lower gears. The RPS34 unit could have some bolts broken holding the clutch packs together, down inside.
We need much more input ( info.) to diagnose the problems.
Loren

ss_impalla
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 transmisison problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Loren. I was kinda thinking there might be something fishy about it. I was thinking if it is just a solenoid, why didn't he just replace it. Seems too good to be true. I do realize the loader and brush hog is worth a bit, but I'd like to know about how much I would be into this thing before I could actually USE it. LOL Here is what the add says.

1978-80? Large 1070 Case cab tractor with bucket. Air/heat works. The power transmission Solenoid went out. Will start but won't move. Comes with spikes attachment & 15ft bat wing brush hog. Last summers heat busted the back glass out. Both tractor & brush hog in good shape. The tractor is too big for me & my son.

case trader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 transmisison problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SS i seen the same add was thinking as you why not fix it?if you are a mechanic it seems cheap enough if you have to pay shop rate could get pricey as the case guy says no electronics on the 70 series trans.they are a very reliable tractor if maintained.if you decide to purchase we can talk you through it.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 1070 transmisison problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a post below from Scott S about a 970 tranny below. Same tranny on both 9-1070s look and read it.If you are serious about the 1070, I would go look at it with buckets in hand, and pull the drain plugs. If you see the same dibris coming out of the tranny, you are in the drivers seat on dealing. As far as cost to repair the TL issue I don't know. Perhaps some of the Case Mechanics on this forum who are still turning wrenches, will chime in with some prices. I've been out of the loop too long. HeHe.
Loren
PS I owned a 1964 Impala SS convertable with a very healthy 327 in it. (wish I still had it) It is in one of the pics of our Case dealership that I posted last weekend.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.