Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to post photos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Harry
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Trying to post photos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I followed the instructions suggessted by Sweetfeet but no photo shows up in message box. I tried it on the test site. Maybe I need to resize it.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to post photos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John,

Yes, the size is important, but it's not the photo size (though that can have a bearing on the file size). It's the file size. If the photo file is larger than 299K, the server will stop uploading without even giving a message, it just hangs. I don't have a way to put out a message on that.

A lot of camera software defaults to extreme file sizes. Usually a photo that you are going to render on the net, need have a file size no larger than a 30 or 40K to get acceptable resolution (given the size of the photo we can fit in a post). In fact we shrink the file size even more to store it.

Usually you can use a tool such as MS's paint program on Windows, Preview on the Mac, and Gimp on any of those or Linux/Unix. You just load the file in and save it. Those programs will tend to save more realistic sized files than the programs provided with cameras. Of course, some of the camera software will give you options to lower the file size too. With a jpg file, it will usually be a "quality" setting. Don't worry, it doesn't actually hurt the quality since the quality is far to high for internet consumption anyway.

But you may find the file size is 500K, 1MB, or I've even seen some photo software store a 3MB file for a simple picture. There is a reason they do that, but it doesn't apply when you are uploading the picture to the net.

If all else fails, just email me the file and I'll shrink it. Anytime is fine except for late evening. My farm net gets clogged from 7 to 12 or so. Address is support at ytmag.com.

I know this is long, but there is one other possibility. If you upload on Classic, it stores the photos to tractorshed.com. Some security software will block accessing tractorshed if you post from ytmag. I have a new technology I'm going to implement to make sure that doesn't happen (it's called AJAX for those interested), but I haven't done that yet. It's improbable that this is the problem but it did happen to someone a couple of years ago.

Thanks,
Chris

John Harry
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to post photos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, the file is 1.xxmb's. I will tinker with downsizing it. Thanks.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to post photos Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are your pictures located on your computer? Usually they need to be on My Documents or Pictures. Right click on one of your pictures then left click on "Properties" and look to see if "JPEG" jpg appears. Most of the pics need jpg at the end of the image URL in order to post on here. Do that on the picture I'm posting and you will see that. Hal

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.