Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jumping 6 volt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One day soon , I will,be picking up my 2N with a 6 volt positive ground, I can;t seem to get my heard straight end figure this out and don't want to have battery blow in my face. I know not to jump 12 volt with a 6 volt directly to the battery. On the jumper battery would I jump by putting the negative on the frame or on the the starter? Confused

Stan
2N with 8N motor 8N345567
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Stan,
You must have other 6V batteries. Why not bring one along and jump with that?
Otherwise, hook the negative side of the 12 V battery to the tractor chassis.
Then make SURE the tractor is out of gear.
Now jump the 12 V positive cable directly to the big lug on the side of the starter.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stan, The polarity of the starter doesn't matter. It will only spin one way. Just make sure tractor is in neutral. Also if the 6 volt battery is completely dead, there will be no spark.

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing it up,I don't have any 6 volt batteries , I only have 12 volt batteries, I don't like the slow action from a 6 volt, I change all mine to 12 volt,but this one I haven't got it home yet. I know there will be others here say they worked well , my opinion is 6 volt never worked well on any vehicle I ever had, my old cars always a pain until 12 volt came along in the mid 1950's.

Stan
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check out tip # 43.

But, as HCooke said, the jumper battery will NOT power the ignition.
75 Tips

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't want to be arc & spark that stud as it may ruin the threads. or melt the solder inside when it gets hot. Clamp it on the stud good & solid then arc & spark the ground where it can't hurt anything.

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been jump starting a JD crawler that is 6 volt pos ground for 20 years with 12 volts. I hook pos of 12 to ground and neg to neg on battery. works fine with no problems and it is using 12 volts for the ignition which I think gives it a hotter spark. Also the starter switch is used and has done no harm to any thing yet, but it has been only 20 years or so of doing this! Just how I do it!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have been way to lucky. Hooking a 12 volt battery to a 6 volt battery can make the 6 volt battery blow up in your face, I know because I had a friend who was blind due to a 6 volt battery blowing up by doing that

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce, I haven't read your tips for a while, #43 tells exactly, just the info I needed.

Stan
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" don't have any 6 volt batteries , I only have 12 volt batteries, I don't like the slow action from a 6 volt, I change all mine to 12 volt,"

A man after my own heart -
Best wishes on this new one.

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:57:33 11/16/12) You have been way to lucky. Hooking a 12 volt battery to a 6 volt battery can make the 6 volt battery blow up in your face, I know because I had a friend who was blind due to a 6 volt battery blowing up by doing that

I did have a 6 volt battery blow up in my 8n when I had it hooked to a 6 volt charger. caps were loosened. It takes a spark to blow a battery up and figured It may have had an internal short in the battery. the way i hook up a 12 when jumping is to hook neg to batt terminal first and then the positive to frame. You will get a spark but it is away from dead battery that is not venting. I may have just been lucky. We all need to keep every thing we do as safe as possible and bypassing the neutral safety function is not real safe either. That all said I do not want to blow up a battery either and I never hook up a charger that is turned on but mine blew while charging and i was not close to the machine at the time.

willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what you say in your post, the tractor must be in running condition, just dead battery, & you want to drive it onto a trailer, haul it home, & drive into shop.
Quick & dirty- take a 12v battery along, remove the 6v batt, & install the 12v. Fire it up & drive onto trailer. Running a few minutes won't damage anything. When you get to your shop, push the whole kaboodle into shop , & do the 12v conversion like you have on your other tractors.
Willie

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: jumping 6 volt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree 100%!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.