Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compressor-to-Tank Hose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn F..

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The other day I noticed the 3/4" x 2' hydraulic hose on my two stage Quincy is leaking around the swivel. Hose makes a 90 turn, so there's constant pressure on it.
I can simply install a new $20.00 hose, but doesn't it seem sommething like this should last, "forever"?

Thank you,
Glenn F.

markiz41
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get rid of the swivel, they don't last under vibration. Go for a good old fashioned pipe union connection.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A hydraulic hose used in an air system, especially at the connection between the compressor and tank, won't last as long as one will in it's normal, hydraulic, environment. That said with the air warmed as a result of being comopressed, it tends to dry the rubber out. Basically it's a natural, but speeded up, form of dry rot that we see everyday. As far as the hose from the compressor to the tank, where thee air leaves the compressor is the hottest spot in the syste, As a result that hose will dry rot faster there than if it were to be used anywhere else in the system.

If your looking to replace it, they do make hose that is designed for the conditions a hose will see in an air system, including the heat from the air coming off the compressor. The problem with those types of lines is that they are relatively expensive as compared to a normal hycraulic line. Thing is I've heard they do last longer, but I've also heard that for the cost of one of the proper hoses you can usually buy several of the standard hydraulic hoses as the need arises.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All my compressors use a pipe, not a hose. Pipe gets very hot too.

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like most of the replies, I wonder why your compressor isn't hard piped between the compressor and the tank? Is this some mobile unit that might be expected to bounce all over the place, or something? Do you know a reason why the hose is there over a pipe? Was it originally a pipe, that frequently cracked for flex?

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I bought the compressor as a basket case 27 yesrs ago; been using it ever since. The copper pipe it used to have got replaced when I installed a new tank.

Would a black steel pipe with a 90 elbow and a union hold up, (no cracking)? It will be a bit of a trick getting things just the right length. A rubber hose is more forgiving.

Thanks,
Glenn F.

RLB88
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Practically all the compressors I've been around all had copper lines from compressor to tank. The usually have a coil in them for vibration. Some had fins to help cool them, they get HOT when used alot.

Compressor hose

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could get a braided stainless steel hose.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might want to consider soft copper with a loop in it. The loop will take care of any vibration and copper is a very good conductor of heat. The discharge air from the compressor will be hot, cooling will drop the back pressure increasing the efficiency of the compressor. Copper is OEM on many compressors.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've known compressors with every type line between the compressor and tank described being used, and the best kind of line, the one I talked about before, is usually the one made for air service that has the stainless braided cover. In my opinion that is about the best type you can use. I say that because we tried all of them on Dad's 7 HP continuious run compressor and the line is the only type that ever lasted (ie it was still gong stong after 6 years when both of the other ways developed cracks etc within a year or two.

That said, the next best would be the heavy copper or steel tube as both have the ability to absorb both the vibration and expansion caused by the heat. In the case of Dad's compressor I think we just got unlucky as either copper or tube usually lasts a pretty decent amount of time when done right.

The least desirable way to do it is for it to be hard piped. The reason it doesn't work that great is that when installed it has to be EXACTLY RIGHT or the stresses caused by it being a bit short, long, etc all add up and are then magnified when it gets hot. Those stresses, in turn, will wind up causing it to leak at the joints. Worse case it can causse cracks in the compressor where it attaches, or in the pile itself. Either isn't a good thing...

markiz41
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you quincy is like mine, that's exactly how I did it. 8"nipple coming off the head, elbow, union and a 16" ss braided swagelok slacking down to the tank. All 3/4 pipe. Works like a charm

cannonball
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Compressor-to-Tank Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

use one of these
Untitled URL Link

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.