Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

moisture coming out of exhaust on startup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1941 Farmall A
When I started it up yesterday, it ran fine but I saw moisture coming out of the exhaust. The tractor is parked in the barn all the time. It was a good amount of moisture too.
I recently replaced the head gasket. Should I retorque the head?

mike1972chev
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, first question,does engine have anti-freeze/coolant in it?? Next question,is it WATER or anti/freeze coolant coming out of the exaust,third question,does at some point it clear up???

Lastly,AFTER all other stuff prooves out,If you recently did do a head gasket,I would go back and re torq it reguardless if nothing else was wrong.

farmallday
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

is it only on the start up that it was coming out??
If it continued after the engine is warmed it should
burn as white smoke in the exaust. Did you check
your water level?? If its low that might also tell
you something.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engine has an Antifreeze and water 50/50 mix in it.
It appears to only be for the first few minutes on startup. After that there is no moisture coming out. I cannot tell if it is just water, or if its the engine coolant.
I will retorque the head prior to the next startup as a precaution.

Curt Cooke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably just a normal amount of condensation. Unless you foul a plug or have moisture running down the exhaust pipe, I wouldn't worry about it.

mike1972chev
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it IS leaking anti freeze in to the combustion chambers it will have a "sweet" smell at the exaust,the liquid will also have a sweet taste on your tounge(Although I am not recommending doing so!!! :)

If it IS clearing up after running,I doubt anything is wrong other than condensation.

Like others said,check all your spark plugs after running it and leaving it set all night.THAT will tell you a story.Watch for coolant loss at the radiator as well.

I would STILL re torq gasket even if it all checks out ok just because it is a good idea.

Denny ('60 Lo-Boy)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Curt Cooke wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:38:23 11/15/12) Probably just a normal amount of condensation. Unless you foul a plug or have moisture running down the exhaust pipe, I wouldn't worry about it.

Ditto Exclamation

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The retorque will not hurt anything. I would expect it is condensation. If it clears up after running a while, and the coolant does not go down, do not worry about it.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All that is is condensation due to the heating and cooling of the engine because this time of year it get down below 32 then back up to 50 or so. If you where to stand behind your car or truck when you start it you would see steam and or water coming out of the pipe on them also. Just a fact of life and how things work and always have worked

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. This is was pretty much what I was thinking but its always nice to get the thoughts from someone else.

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have you retorqued the head bolts after replacing the gasket?

You should alwasy re-torque them after running it for a while - with or without your water issue.

Indiana Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Water is formed during the combustion of gasoline, propane etc.. During start up the water condenses out on the cool exhaust system piping. I can't say what your problem may be however, condensed water is normal in an exhaust system until everything heats up. Once it is hot the water passes with the exhaust gases as invisible steam.

As an example; I have a high efficiency propane furnace which condenses the water formed during combustion. Before I plumbed the furnace drain to the basement sump it would fill a bucket with water each day.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: moisture coming out of exhaust on startup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's coolant, I don't think re-torquing the head is going to help at this point. I'd expect the head and block deck to be warped, and in need of planing.

However, I agree with everyone else. It's condensation, and you're letting your imagination run away with you.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.