Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philcase
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a chisel plow for my CIH 885 (72 pto hp). I've asked several farmers, dealers, ect. just how many shanks could I pull. Every thing from 12 to 20 hp per shank. I know there are a lot of variables (soil type, depth, etc.) but is there a general rule or if you use this tractor what do you use. I have clay soil and hills and probably want to go ~12" deep. Thanks.
Phil

randallinMo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pull a 5 shank chisel with a 4020 John Deere....right at 100 hp. Clay and hills and 12" deep would stop it dead. Don't try to pull anything any wider than your tractor.....or you're going to be really disappointed. I"m thinking four shanks is going to be a LOAD for your tractor and what you're wanting to do.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For that deep, clay soil, 3.

You could pull 5, but you won't be any deeper than a field cuiltivator, won't accomplish anything.

I was pulling a 10 shank, 2 inch chisel with 150hp, didn't always go deep enough.

Just got a 7 shank 4 inch twist chisel, and wow, that is cool, finally doing something in the dirt!

Bigger isn't always better. In good ground, I could have pulled a 12 of the old, or would be able to pull a 9 shank of the newer type.... But I don't chisel plow only to cover good ground, I do it to accomplish something, and that means more hp than needed some of the time, so it works in the tough ground.

--->Paul

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on what type of chisel you are wanting to use. I had a 7 shank 3 point that was a load at about6" deep on my 5000 Ford, the 4000 only would handle 5 shanks and they were on 12" spacing. Now if you are talking about a disc chisel then they will be on a 15" spacing if like was made when I had mine or now possibly a wider spacing yet and the deeper you want to go the wider you need to be so for that depth I think you are looking at a disk chisel with the 15" spacing and it would take at least twice the horsepower per shank of the Ford unit that I had and at 6" and 8 hp per shank it was a load and only used it on higher rolling ground that was in bean stubble so sod would take a lot more. I am thinking that the depth you are wanting to go with other conditions figure at least 25 (not 20) horsepower per shank. so it would not be over a 4 shank disk chisel and have not heard of any of less than 5 shanks. Now if you want a plain 12" spacing unit and 6" deep then a 7 shank mounted would work. And they will not work in corn stalks.

MFPoor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gonna depend somewhat on where you're at and what type of soil you have. Bottom line though, 72hp isn't a lot when you start talking about a chisel plow. Also, type of shovels on the plow make a difference. I had a 9 shank plow that I used behind a 150 hp 2wd tractor for a while. Pulled it like a toy @ 10" deep! I changed from straight shovels to twisted shovels and dang near couldn't pull it even at shallower depth. And worth considering is ballasted weight of tractor along with ground speed you desire.

tomstractorsandtoys1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a seven shank IH 55 that we have pulled with a Deere 3020(4020 works much better), we also have a 5 shank Landoll soil saver that we pull with a 4020 and we can stall it out if we go really deep.Both are tilling the same width but the five shank is going alot deeper.Soil type and chisel width makes a huge difference.Neighbor has a 7 shank soilsaver with wide shanks and he works a 190 hp(But his tractors are red)LOL.

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to pull a 7 shank soil saver (glenco) with a Oliver 1950T (110 hp). Always pulled it fine even in the tougher clay hills. Then a friend asked me to chisel 40 acres that he worked too wet and ran a big crowfoot over it 2 times. I couldn"t pull it if and when it went in any deeper than about 6 inches.
You will be lucky to pull 5 straight shanks.
Larry NEIL

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: how big of a chisel plow for 72 hp Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also keep in mind you guys are talking about big heavy row crop tractors.

A CaseIH 885 is a light little utility.

I agree with 3 shanks, given that info.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.