Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best tractor for The end of the World

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBnSC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Between me and my two brothers we have 2 4020's,a 4320, 3020 JDs, 850,4000,6610 Fords and an 8N. Just wondering which one would work best for the end. What are you planning to keep?
Ron

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need a small diesel thats very fuel efficient and can be started by just pulling it or rolling off a hill and jump starting and will run with no electrical.My David Brown 770 fits the bill perfectly.Also have a small Bolen/Iseki diesel that'll do the same thing.

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An ETD I've been secretly hoarding, shhhhh, don't let thurlow know that I have it, he would be insanely jealous and who knows what he might do, soooo, keep it quiet, OK?

LeonardWD45
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

Any older tractor that can be hand cranked and no modern electronics that will fry when the EMP happens. I own a WD45 and a WD.

Leonard

Oliver 1655

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YOU ARE RIGHT BILL! an ETD is EMP Proof!! When I got mine The Dealer gave me a free hat!! It was made from TINFOIL!!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Non of what you list would work well. You need an all fuel type that has hand start and a mag so you can make your own fuel and not have to worry about how to keep a battery charged up etc.

Bill(Wis)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just realized that the lettering in my post above is way too large. I meant to shrink it down so thurlow wouldn't be so liable to notice. Now what do I do? Maybe I can get Kim to Poof it the way she did earlier this morning when I merely pointed out that we are watching our once great nation being transformed into the largest self-licking ice cream cone the world has ever seen.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A well maintained J I Case steamer. 40 hp would be fine. No rubber, no airconditioning, and runs on widely available fuel. Jim

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll take the one on the right.

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

electric powered walk behind.. no need for anything bigger,because your neighbors will steal all you grow,and it would be to your advantage if they starved. you could solar charge it,keep garden small enough you could feed your family while keeping it hidden.ANY fuel use would be an invitation for theives. and they wouldnt be used much as war material.of course a horse would make sense,but you cant eat a walkbehind.

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You won't need one. Govt will throw us off our farms, because we don't need all that land.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have to agree with you because if it does hit the fan there will be no power no fuel so the only way to get things done is with something that you can fuel off the land and a horse or mule is about the only thing that fits that bill

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'll want a diesel with as few electronics as possible and a full tank of fuel. After say nuclear winter, diesel fuel will still be ready to start and go. It is debatable what the effect of an EMP would be on the tractors modern electronics, but most agree that older tractors without much electronics would be safe. If you were actually prepping a tractor for post armmagedon, I might suggest getting the tires foamed, unless you are retro fitting for steel wheels anyway? You should determine what your post apocalyptic tractor needs will be. Obviously, if you will just be hauling your friends and neighbors corpses from where they lay in the streets to some mass burial, something like an 8N Ford will be fine. Will you feel compelled to use your tractor to tears down the ruins of civilization to make more farmland? Remember that with so many gone, the worlds food demand will be much lower.

ohiojim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if it's ending, what ya want a tractor for ??????

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best tractor for The end of the World Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of farming was done during both world wars with gas tractors running on wood-smoke. You can't do that with a diesel. If fuel is cut off, seems a wood-smoke collector fueled tractor or car is the only thing that will run on local fuel.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.