Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John B.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A young man at work that's mentally challenged asked me to look at this Zero Turn he bought. It ran but only on one cylinder. Well it turns out it needs an engine. A new engine is $2500 It had a 25hp air cooled Kohler engine on it. I'm gonna try and help him out by selling it to get his $1800 back out of it or try and find some used heads and pistons for it just to get it running and he may have better luck selling it then. It has a little over 1200 hrs on it. He can't comprehend what I tell him what it needs and I'm off work now for the past two months and one month to go so I can't afford to buy the parts needed for it. The gasket kit alone is a little over $100. If you know of any one that's interested give me a text or call. Thanks, John B. in Illinois.

John B.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot to mention this is a Scag Turf Tiger 60" cut.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to contact IL Legal AID. Here's a number to call for one area in IL. They can tell you the number for the area where this person lives. That mower should've been junked. Hal

1-217-529-8400

John B.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll keep that in mind Hal, Thanks! But the mower is in good shape it's not ready for the scrap yard yet. I'm afraid he'll be lucky to get $1200 out of it but I believe he would take it...

Trac1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm afraid that unit was rode hard and put up wet. Not very well taken care of. Somebody saw a chance to take advantage of another and did so. What goes around WILL come around one day.

MFPoor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we've got 3 of 'em just like that where I work. We replace 'em with new ones every 3 years. No trade value and we have a hard time getting $1000 for them and that's waiting until spring when the market for used mowers is at its best.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can"t say what its worth, but I bought a Dixon industrial zero turn that runs and works great for $500 at auction. Don"t see how you"ll get any more than scrap price out of one needing a $2,500 engine.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No one will put that much money in that mower. You or someone else needs to contact that Legal Aid in your area and don't delay. The state of IL probably has laws for someone taking advantage
of your friend. Hal

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

cant say on that one but i can buy a weedeater brand one with less than thirty hours on it, and less than a year old, for 1200. and its been sitting for quite a while now unsold.could you try around mower shops and things in your area and find piston and heads used?if the rod/cyl is good,you might get by pretty cheap.even if it smoked a little ,the young man would be better off trying to run his money out of it,in my opinion.

John B.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's what I'm checking in for a set of used heads and pistons for him. This is what my feelings are also, get it running and use it for a year and sell it or trade it.

danmcdonald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you part it out you might get 200-300. Other then that its just scrap value. Sorry

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can't fix the world Bro....... sick in the head or not, he made a deal on his own. Shoulda asked you to look at it before he bought it...... If someone intentionally took advantage of him, you may help him with a claim, but you aren't under any obligation...... Your heart is in the right place tho....

John B.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're so right Dave. The boy is married, works full time, but he has big ideas and that's as far as it goes. There's only so much I can do. I have to watch my step cause I feel I'm gonna be the bad guy in the end. That's what usually happens when you try to help someone.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a shame! If you can't get him help with legal aid let us know. I would be willing to chip in a few bucks. If the front casters are 10 inch I would pop for a pair that I manufacture with ball bearings instead of bushings.

In any case it wouldn't take but ten bucks a piece for a small number of the total people on the board to cover the repair cost.

Like what my grandfather said many times about some one like the guy that sold it to him. He should be set on a stump and have a spike drove thru his bag and then pushed over backwards.

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: OT What's this worth. Trying to help a friend Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is worth about $12/hundredweight, in the shape it's in now. To someone who has the parts/knowhow to put it back together, maybe $200. He was taken, and now that it's apart, I doubt he has any legal recourse, against the guy who took him. It's a shame, but live and learn.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.