Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greenfield (FMC) conduit with unshielded ground

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kopeck
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Greenfield (FMC) conduit with unshielded ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to make a small change in the wiring for my boiler and I was wonder if it's OK to run an unshielded ground (ie bare copper) through Greenfield flexible conduit?

I really don't see why it would be a problem but though I would ask first.

Thanks,

K

DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Greenfield (FMC) conduit with unshielded ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kopeck,

Does this ground do anything othere than bond? I am pretty sure that thhe grounding conductor can be bare.

ANy more details would help, though.

D.

kopeck
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Greenfield (FMC) conduit with unshielded ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dennis min wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:17:16 11/17/12) Kopeck,

Does this ground do anything othere than bond? I am pretty sure that thhe grounding conductor can be bare.

ANy more details would help, though.

D.

Yup, just bond.

The only reason I ask is I know when you buy MC cable the ground is usually not bare (ie, the green wire).

K

Plane Bart
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Greenfield (FMC) conduit with unshielded ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can run a bare ground wire inside of greenfield with no
problem it is much better than using the flexible metal conduit
as your ground. Green insulated is preferred but not
nessacery.
The grounding is the most important wire in an electric circuit
when there is a problem.
Did a service call years ago where a 2 pole 30 amp fuse
disconnect was added to a old split phase fuse box.
The Romex connector was tighted all the way down on the
cable and the ground wire was cut off and not connected,
After 15 years or so the red conductor became knicked and
energized the entire fuse box because of no pathway to
ground to short out.
Note this was tapped straight from the main lugs with no
overload protection untill you got out to the transformer outside
on the pole. 100amp 120/240 volt service.
Customer got a real bad shock from this condition and it did
short out when the fuse box door cover was opened and made
contact with the fused disconnect this could of killed
somebody very easily
Grounds are very important
Bart Master electrician.

kopeck
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Greenfield (FMC) conduit with unshielded ground Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bart,

I figured that was the case.

K

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.