Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

break drum removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger H MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the best way to remove a stubborn break drum off a B Allis.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How I did it was I removed the final drive from the trans housing and removed the cover and bearing on the outer end(it has been a couple of years and I do not recall all of the small parts that I removed, but basically anything that could come off). Then I stood it on end, put a piece of oak on the end of the shaft and hit it as hard as I could with a 10# sledge hammer. This felt like a lot of force to exert but it popped the shaft right out of the drum nicely in an instant after I had spent some time hitting it more gently with lighter hammers. Sometimes too much force is just the right amount.
Zach

Ted in NE-OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't forget to remove the set screw and lock nut first.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wire brush the shaft out toward the splines as that has to slide thru the drum. remove the setscrew as mentioned. spray with penetrant. I have always used the 10 pound sledge. Dick L. and others have talked about putting in a 20 ton press and pushing them out. Sounds like a good idea.

Roger H MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a twenty ton jack on the axle shaft hooked around a chain bolted to the housing. But haven't put the full force on yet. I don't know how much pressure the break drum and the flange can stand. I might go find a press I can use. It is surprising how stubborn they can be.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes a whack will loosen things that pressure alone will not seem to budge, in my experience.
Zach

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While you have the pressure on the pinion shaft put some heat on the drum thru the top opening. It shouldn't take a lot of heat to expand the drum enough to release its hold. I use a 50 ton press by the way and don't worry a bunch about braking anything. The way I figure it if it breaks it most likely needed replaced anyway. I have never broke a B or C brake drum with the 50 ton press. I did break a drum on a G that was stubborn.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roger H MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm going to put a little heat on it today. Hope this will break loose. all I have is a tee puller and 20 ton jack. I can see the advantage of a H press. Working on a Allis they could come in handy, my arbor press just wont cut the big jobs.I will try and post some pictures if this puller is successful and I don't break anything.

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Perhaps I am not understanding what it is you are asking, Roger. The brakes on an Allis Chalmers B are inboard on the axle. They are bands that are removed from the top, as opposed to the more common hub at the end bolted to the tire. Usually when the bands are frozen hard like what I am reading is the issue, I most often find that the pins are worn and frozen. These end up being cut and replaced. I admit that I may not be understanding what the problem you ask about is. If you are not refering to the brakes, which sit inboard on the axle shaft, please share.

Roger H MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Removing break drum from axle for oil seal replacement.

Roger H MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: break drum removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the advice. With a twenty ton jack. The break drum finally broke loose. And the drum can take a-lot of pressure without breaking. everything came out with no broken parts.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.