Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing a new Replacement S/N Tag.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Installing a new Replacement S/N Tag. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am restoring a Farmall 240 and have a replacement s/n tag I obtained to replace the original rather battered original. I was very careful when I removed the old tag in removing only the original brass rivet material and didn't enlarge the holes in the cast bell housing. The rivets that came with the new tag bottom out on the cast iron where the tag goes and are longer then the original holes drilled into the bell housing decades ago. Also, the holes are slightly larger in diameter then the rivets. My question since I have never installed a replacement tag if you hit the rivet with an impact device will the rivet swell from the compression since it rests on heavy cast and fill the hole retaining the s/n plate to the tractor? If this isn't the case how are these tags secured to the tractor. Any advice or hints for a proper installation will be most appreciated, Hal.

DScott
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a new Replacement S/N Tag. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hal,
Without seeing it it is hard to say exactly. Based on what you are saying I think I would shorten the rivet and put something in the existing hole to shim it tight, maybe even epoxy it. If you force the rivet in it may bust through the casting if it's thin behind the hole. Most of those type rivets I have dealt with are very hard and would not "swell" easily.
That's my thoughts.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a new Replacement S/N Tag. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I would be tempted to shorten the rivets so they don't bottom out, and then put a little dab of JB weld down in the hole.

Another thought. The serial tags on BOTH my 1940 M and 1940 H are held on with threaded screws. The screws have slotted heads for a screwdriver. Both appear to be original because the number on the plate matches the number on the engine exactly.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a new Replacement S/N Tag. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

use drive rivits...

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a new Replacement S/N Tag. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Directions with my new replacement tag said to fill old holes. Then off set new tag slightly, mark and drill new holes the correct size for the new rivets. They provided the correct drill bit size info.

Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a new Replacement S/N Tag. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went to Fastenal today and they ordered the correct size drive screws (both in length and diameter) for my new tag and the existing holes in the tractor where the old ones were drilled out. They seemed to know exactly what I wanted and what they were and will be here Monday. Thanks much for your comments and have a great Thanksgiving day with those very special to you, Hal.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.