Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 for...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chad batterman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The carb is a marvel-schebler tsx 841.I replaced the float valve and valve seat. The float is set 1/4 in. from the gasket. When I try to start the engine, fuel leaks from the choke. the float is air-tight. It also seals completely when in the up position. It moves freely in the bowl. I have tried setting the float lower whith no success. Why am I having this problem? Also, how important is it that the float be level whith the gasket when in the up position?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you choke it too much.. or don't have the relief flap ont he disc in the right orientation , so that it has no vent when choking.. you can get excess fuel that will drip out. pretty common.

chad batterman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The carb is actually a tsx 813. The relief flap opens inward and seems to be working. Could anything else cause this problem?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

is it leaking constantly.. or only when choked?.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't have a carb problem. If it is not already off, remove the air intake tube so that you can monitor what is happening. It is perfectly normal for gas to dribble out the intake if the choke is closed and it does not fire up in about one revolution. you need to be checking for spark and wetness of plugs.

chad batterman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It only leaks when choked.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

perfectly normal.

when you choke it is sucks a spray of fuel thru.. it has to go somewhere...

chad batterman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have good spark. Plugs are wet, though.I possibly wrongfully, assumed that this was due to the air/fuel problem(flooding). Was I mistaken?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engine is badly flooded.

Sandblast or replace the plugs.

If all else is well, it should start.

Dean

chad batterman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean, I've cleaned and gapped the plugs a few times over the past week. I have recently been able to get it started, and it runs well at low idle. The engine starts to roll and dies at 3/4 throttle. This has been the case the four times that I've managed to start it. The low idle screw is out one turn. I've tried again with the high idle out 2 turns, as my tractor mechanic suggested, and also out 1 1/4 turns as the manual suggests with no success. Once it dies, I have only been able to restart after cleaning the badly fuel-fouled plugs. HELP:)

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

chad batterman wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:24:13 11/15/12) I have good spark. Plugs are wet, though.

These don't really go together at startup, unless you're really way over doing the choke.
If it's been flooded that many times, I would try new plugs.
What do you mean when you say "good spark"? Bright white spark?
How/where are you checking the spark?
Flooding while running - with or without the air breather hooked up?

chad batterman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royce, when you say "these really don"t really go together at startup" what do you mean by "these". I checked for spark by pulling the spark plugs individually, held them close to a ground point,and cranked the starter. The spark is bright blue-white on every plug. Is there a better way to check for spark at the plugs? (With the air-breather hooked up) When I have gotten the engine to start, it runs great at low idle. The engine sputters and dies at 2/3 to 3/4 throttle, and the once-clean plugs are, again, fuel fouled. could this be a distributor issue, and not a fuel issue. I"m beginning to think thet the once-suspect carb may not be the culprit. Thanks for your reply.

chad batterman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I may be guilty of excessive choking. I am adressing one issue at a time so as not to fail to hold all things equal. The next time this engine starts, I'm going to remove the gas cap to see if the problem could be caused by a lack of proper venting. This, however, would not explain the fuel-fouled plugs.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chad, I advised you to remove the intake tube from the carb. Have you done so?
I always need to remove it when I am in a situation like this in order to be able to see where I am.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: fuel leaking out of choke when I try to start my 1959 fo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be choking itself too.
I would disconnect the air breather and see what it does as showcrop mentioned.
If it doesn't foul the plug then, it may just have a dirty air cleaner.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.