Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All,

Where"s the tough ol" goat that was my Dad? That ornery man is a piece of melted buter when it comes to grandkids; especially patience, tolerance. forgiveness, time, etc.

Just saying my folks have a way of aging blessedly...

Again, take this kindly,

D.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's the god cop bad cop thing didn't he tell you that? You get to be the bad cop and he's the good one, kinda of a reward for raising kids.

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son say's the same thing. It seems like as we get older we do mellow out some. He says the grand kids get by a lot easier than he did which I do have to agree with him on that. I think maybe some of life's pressures are less now, I don't know for sure.

Switchflicker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We do mellow out a lot, We also have less pressures in the form of responsibilities to raise the kids. We have more money and less money worries, We have more TIME to spare and what we need to do is not so urgent as when we had our own kids. We have the same love as before, but somehow before, we couldn't let the world stop turning just to look after some 'insignificant' little kid problem. Now we look for reasons to stop the world for our grandkids.

That's what I think

SF

da.bees
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The wife and I have decided if we had it to do over we would skip raiseing any kids and just move on to haveing a bunch of grandkids.
It has something to do with genetic conditions sometimes skipping a generation don't you see. The generation born before and dureing Roosevelt's administration and ending about the end of Ike's are darn near perfect in all respects. The next one starting during the Kennedy administration and ending dureing Reagan's seem to have missed the boat all the way around. Which brings us to this latest batch of 2 weeks old to early 20s that like thier grandparents,are smart,good looking and virtuous.
Well,there you go and it must be true since I said it.

DownSouth
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We as grandparents tend to spoil our grandchildren. The real reason we do this is in hopes the grandchildren will annoy their parents after they leave the grandparents house, hence the grandparents get even with their children even though they are now adults raising their own children. At least that"s what I do, and I swear our son knows it too. Funny thing is, they will be here for a week long visit this Sunday. Let the fun begin!

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not a grandparent and never will be,but I have a lot of friends that are. What get's me is the grandparents are stuck with raising their grand kids because their sorry azz kids have dropped them on their parents. Maybe if they had done a little better job of raising their own kids they would't be in their 60's and 70's trying to raise a second family.

don t-9n180179
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Where"s the tough ol" goat that was my Dad?"....

Ask to borrow or use his prized tool/truck/shotgun/ and see if that doesn't wake him up(big grin).

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

for my self ,who started raiseing kids at 18, I like to think ive matured and its no longer a case of a kid raising a kid. Nana says its because im in my second childhood,but i dont believe that for a second!!as long as i dont have to share my ice cream and candy,i can handle them!!!of course i MIGHT have overdone it just a little bit.when the five year old writes you a shopping list,and sends you to the store for icecream,cookies,chips,candied corn,and goldfish so she will have enough supplies to spend the night, that MIGHT be an indication they are slightly rotten.

1970-1655
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I keep telling my daughter "remember all the headaches you caused us? Payback time!" We had 1 daughter, she has 2. We will take the kids any time we can so they can have some discipline and love in their life. When they get older, they will remember all the good times with us, even if their mother forgot so soon.

Chuck (CA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts regarding this from a grandfather of 10 and great-grandfather of 2.
Parents have their hands full with raising kids, paying bills and all the other things to make ends meet. A grandparent is there to help give the young-uns the self esteem they so often need. We don't have the distractions of every day responsiblities of raising them. (The exception is the grandparents who have to raise their grandkids, for whatever reason.)
The other thought is testosorone, or actually the diminishing of it as we get older. The macho-ism ain't like it was and we don't feel the need to be the gruff parent.
Anyway, that's my opnion. That and a buck and a half will buy you a cup of coffee.

Switchflicker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyway, that's my opnion. That and a buck and a half will buy you a cup of coffee.[/quote]

That and a bus ticket will get you home (Big Grin)

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chuck (CA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:44:38 11/16/12) A couple of thoughts regarding this from a grandfather of 10 and great-grandfather of 2.
Parents have their hands full with raising kids, paying bills and all the other things to make ends meet. A grandparent is there to help give the young-uns the self esteem they so often need. We don't have the distractions of every day responsiblities of raising them. (The exception is the grandparents who have to raise their grandkids, for whatever reason.)
The other thought is testosorone, or actually the diminishing of it as we get older. The macho-ism ain't like it was and we don't feel the need to be the gruff parent.
Anyway, that's my opnion. That and a buck and a half will buy you a cup of coffee.

Not dissing you here Chuck, but self esteem is the last thing my grandkids need. That's all the schools concentrate on, building up self esteem, never letting them fail, even when they DID fail. IMO what GP are for is passing on the values our kids haven't grasped yet because they are too busy learning to be parents. Things like manners, humility, perseverance, how to bend over and actually work. Of course you give them fun too, but GPs are there to fill in the holes Mom and Dad miss.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bret4207 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:07:23 11/17/12)
Chuck (CA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:44:38 11/16/12) A couple of thoughts regarding this from a grandfather of 10 and great-grandfather of 2.

Not dissing you here Chuck, but self esteem is the last thing my grandkids need. That's all the schools concentrate on, building up self esteem, never letting them fail, even when they DID fail. IMO what GP are for is passing on the values our kids haven't grasped yet because they are too busy learning to be parents. Things like manners, humility, perseverance, how to bend over and actually work. Of course you give them fun too, but GPs are there to fill in the holes Mom and Dad miss.

2X what Brett Says

L.C. Gray
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: OT: Where's grampa when he was Dad... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bill Cosby said it best after watching his parents with his own kids...

"These are not the same parents who raised me... they're old now... and they would like to get into heaven."

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.