Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6BT Cummins in IH pickup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theron Dickinson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone ever seen a 6 cylinder cummins in a IH pickup truck?

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know a guy that had a Cummins 4BT in one and a Detroit 3-53 in the other. Both 1960s IH 2WD trucks with straight axles in front.

I've been waiting for a good deal on a 4BT for years. Pricey and never seem to go cheap. 6BTs I find all over the place fairly cheap. I just passed one up for $800. Cheapest 4BT so far has been $2200 and 1500 miles away.

Nothing wrong with the 6BT. Just a fuel mileage thing. An IH with a 6BT and proper gearing can probably get 18-19 MPG, whereas a 4BT can probably get 23-25 MPG.

cumminspuller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've not seen one in a IH pickup but it would be cool. What year model are you looking for? I'd like to have a 48 or 49 model and put a 4bt or 6bt in myself.

Theron Dickinson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I already have a 1975 150 but the 345 in it needs a rebuild bad but only after 383,000

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think a 4BT would fit easier in that engine compartment

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

never seen a 6, probably can be bolted to the ih tranny with a kit, but id do some careful measuring first, i think the big problem is going to be fitting the engine in the engine bay on the ih, im not sure there room lengthwise, the 4 bt would be better, and still have plenty of power

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There may be quite a few 4bt engines available here in the near future. With the Hostess company liquidating, their bread delivery trucks will be on the market. I think many of them have the 4bt engines in them.

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I worked for a guy in New Zealand years ago who used an old late 60s IH pick up as his farm truck, it was fitted with a perkins 6.354... only did about 40mph flat out, had a 4 speed stick shift... really only needed top gear too, i think it had a 4.10 rear end...

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try and find an old Scout that came from the factory with the diesel. Should make for an easy swap I'd think.

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I drove diesel Scouts for years as a John Deere service vehicle. The 2nd one had a turbo. I don't think that Nissan diesel has anything in common with any Cummins.

Jeep also sold a diesel truck a little earlier then the IH. Came with a Perkins. Did not sell very well.

Even Dodge had one for one year. Used a Mitsubishi six cylinder diesel.

cumminspuller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 6BT Cummins in IH pickup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be cool. That is one of my favorite body styles from IH. The 6bt is easier to find. The 4bt will cost a little more under normal circumstances. You can buy adapter kits to hook a 6bt or 4bt to other transmissions. Just for a riding around truck and not doing a lot of very heavy work the 4bt would be fine if you wanted to keep the motor stock I think.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.