Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEATH WOBBLE IH B414??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE HAPPY FARMER

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I HAVE AIH B414 TRACTOR, JUST WENT THROUGH THE STEERING GEAR COMPLETLY.(EVERTHING IN GEARBOX IS NEW EXCEPT FOR THE HOUSING IT"S SELF?? HAVE A DEATH WOBBLE, WHEN I HIT THE PAVEMENT! ANY IDEAS? WHEEL BRGS? ALIGNMENT? AT A LOSS RIGHT NOW, GOING TO GO THROUGH WHEEL BRGS AND GRASE EVERYTHING? NOT SURE IT"S GOING TO HELP?? AT WITTS END! LOL

MJ in the UK

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a B414 with the same problem after I replaced all the track rod ball joints, king pin bushes and rebuilt the steering box. Put new axle centre pin and bushes in and cured the problem. MJ

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the verticle alaignment of the axle,in other words are the spindles absolutely straight up and down.The tube in the from axle could have bent or flexed enough to let the spindles slope back slighty,putting more weight and stress on them making steering skewed. Also check for a bent rim,identical tires on both sides,identical air pressure

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pitman arm splines worn or damaged or the nut is loose

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes,my B250 got hard to steer and it was the front axle ,worn bolt holes allowed the tube to turn slightly putting the tractor weight ahead of the center of the tires,could hardly turn the steering wheel. I aligned it up,put in new bolts,tightened everything up and all is well.

THE HAPPY FARMER

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THE STEERING GEAR HAS ALL NEW PARTS, AND HAS BEEN SET UP PROPERLY THE ONLY USED PART IS THE CASE.??

THE HAPPY FARMER

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YES I'M HEADED THERE NEXT, JUST OVERHAULDER THE STEERING GEAR AND IT'D PERFECT! HEADED FOR THE FRONT END NEXT?? THOUGHT I MIGHT TRY TO RESET THE TOE? SEE IF I CAN MAYBE CURE IT THAT WAY?? IF NOT I'LL GO THROUGH THE WHOLE FRONT HALF! MIKE B.

THE HAPPY FARMER

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

REPLACED SECTOR SHAFT WITH NEW, PITMAN ARM IS TIGHT AND NO PLAY THERE? MIKE B.

THE HAPPY FARMER

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: DEATH WOBBLE IH B414?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YUP THAT'S WHERE I'M HEADED NEXT, GOING TO CHECK ALIGNMENT, AND CHECK EVERYTHING UP FRONT. STEERING GEAR IS GOOD, SO IT HAS TO BE UP FRONT SOMEWHERE! THANKS MIKE B.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.