Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 cylinder gas 4000 SOS PTO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas Miner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: 4 cylinder gas 4000 SOS PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back to working on my tractor. I have the SOS and
PTO cables disconnected safety start wire
disconnected and the transmission cover removed. I
hooked the PTO cable directly to the linkage and
it does not want to move.

Now my questions

Should the linkage be able to move while not
running?

Every thing looks new inside the transmission.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 4 cylinder gas 4000 SOS PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How are you anchoring the cable conduit with the cover removed? The PTO linkage is spring loaded and will have some resistance. You should be able to grasp it with a plier or vice grip and watch it depress its valve. If it can't or wont do that, reply and we'll write more.

Douglas Miner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 4 cylinder gas 4000 SOS PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the PTO cable out of its housing and screwed into the linkage with the handle on. The linkage in the transmission is very low. I also noticed that there is a grove on the starter switch that part of the linkage rides in.

Tequila
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 4 cylinder gas 4000 SOS PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After reviewing your post a couple times I am still not positive what your asking. Apparently you have threaded the PTO cable into the linkage collar . The linkage simply moves the valve piston in &out of the valve body routing Hyd. Fluid. Should work freely , engine running or not. You should be able to easily activate the linkage thru its range of motion with your fingers. If the linkage is not stuck or broken,then the valve piston is probably stuck. Best done with the proper manual at hand, remove the top of valve body and R&R all valve spindles.

Douglas Miner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 4 cylinder gas 4000 SOS PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The spindles move in and out freely. It looks like the PTO linkage doesn't even hit the spindle.

Douglas Miner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 4 cylinder gas 4000 SOS PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The linkage appeared to be hung up under the
safety start switch. I freed it from there and it
appears to work like it is supposed to. Now to try
hooking the cables back up.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 cylinder gas 4000 SOS PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you get ready to reinstall the transmission cover- thread the shift cable stub into the PTO actuator to pull it into place as the cover is installed. Once the cover is is completely installed remove the stub and thread it into the shifter trunnion.

Very carefully thread the PTO cable into the PTO actuator. Too much down pressure will push the actuator out of the transmission cover and you'll need to remove the cover and start the process over.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.