Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1956 800 Revisited

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROADMAN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few days ago I posted some information on the shifter for a 800 I was thinking about buying. After looking closely at the tractor, the shifter is a up and down, left to right 5 speed like it should be on the 800 series. Sorry about the confusion. My 850 has engine problems, piston no. 2 came off the rod. It scared the sleeve and now I have water in the oil. Hope it didn't crack the block or head. I'll find out when I get it pulled and to a machine shop. I went ahead and bought this tractor for $1200.00. It runs great, has fair tires, fairly tight steering, a little slow on the hydrolics but that should be an easy fix and the valve cover gasket needs replacing. I guess the previous owner didn't like ford red so he painted it blue. I need my loader around my place so I plan on putting my loader off the 850 on this tractor and start rebuilding the 850 engine. I'm sure I will need all the advice I can get when I start the rebuild. Thanks for all your help.

Clay

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of these old Fords got painted blue so as to look like the newer 4000 series tractors and I have even seen them with 4000 decals but still be a 800 or 801 series. As for the loader it should be a bolt off bolt on thing but you need a way to lift it on and off. BTDT to many times and just installed a loader on a 3000

ROADMAN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep OLD. I've got the loader off the 850. Wasn't very easy since I couldn't run the tractor but nobody told me life was easy. LOL. Shouldn't have much problem bolting up. Got to change out the drive shaft pully with the pully off the 850. I have a seperate pump that operates the loader that works off the drive shaft. I'll try to get to that this weekend. Will post pictures of my progress. I plan on making the 850 my restoration project and make the "new to me" tractor my worker.

Thanks for all your help

Clay

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you look at the model number on the "new" tractor to confirm whether it is an 850 or 860? There is absolutely no external difference between the 850 and 860. The difference is the clutch and input shaft into the transmission.

ROADMAN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It had a lot of oil and grease where the model no. is located. Just got it loaded and home late last night. Will be checking the model and serial nos. tonight. It appears to be an 850 just by comparing it to my other 850 but I will check it all out and make sure.

Thank for you help

Clay

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As awhtx said, you will not be able to tell the difference between an 850 and an 860 by looking at them. You'll need to look at the number. Nice price for a running 800!

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, based on the early fenders and flat footrests, I'm betting the serial number (and date codes) will call out a 1955.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

post some more pics when you can.

ROADMAN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gonna try to get some work done on it this weekend. May not get the loader on but I will post some more pictures as I progress. I too like to look at the pictures.

Thanks again for all your help

Clay

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

best of luck, be carefull.

NoNewParts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wow, a running 5-speed 8x0 with useable tires for 1200.
I GOTTA get out of the Northeast.
easily worth twice that,
so in the overall scheme of things,
ya just saved enough money to
rebuild your other one for 'free'

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 800 Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roadman wrote:
I went ahead and bought this tractor for $1200.00.

More like stole it! Sounds like a really good deal to me.
Specially considering your loader will bolt right up.
Good luck on your rebuild, let us know how it goes.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.