Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to tell if it's charging?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How can I tell if my system is charging?

It's 6V (front mount) with a genny, but the generator and voltage regulator are not Ford. The VR is Autolite (looks like model VRR-4008-A) and the genny is Delco-Remy (model 1101355).

When the engine is running (which it is doing fine now with a new battery), voltage at the battery, as measured with a digital multimeter is jumping all over the place (and it's jumping more with the more expensive meter than it is with the cheap one). So I'm not sure what's really happening...

How can I tell if it's really charging or not?

Thanks,

-Paul

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Digital meters do not like the engine spark noise and have that problem. Best to use an analog type meter which you can buy at radio shack for around $10 or so. You can also go buy a simple dash type volt meter and hook it to the battery and check with it not running then with it running. Not running with 6 volts you should get around 6.3 volts running you should see 7 plus. DO NOT pull one battery cable off with it running to check because you can/will let the smoke out of the charging system and you can also get hurt if you do something wrong as in maybe even dead

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paul in Edmonton wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:50:24 11/16/12) How can I tell if my system is charging?

It's 6V (front mount) with a genny, but the generator and voltage regulator are not Ford. The VR is Autolite (looks like model VRR-4008-A) and the genny is Delco-Remy (model 1101355).

When the engine is running (which it is doing fine now with a new battery), voltage at the battery, as measured with a digital multimeter is jumping all over the place (and it's jumping more with the more expensive meter than it is with the cheap one). So I'm not sure what's really happening...

Thanks,

-Paul
Need analog voltmeter, as digital does not like the electrically noisy environment. That VR number is factory original for early 8N tractors, but they did not use Delco-Remy generators but no reason that a D-R generator won't work.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check out tip # 47 (as others are saying).

Or replace the ammeter on the tractor.
50 Tips

Britcheflee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paul in Edmonton wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:50:24 11/16/12) How can I tell if my system is charging?

Well, I guess if you use it over a period of time and the battery goes flat would that not also indicate it is not charging? Do the light dim and brighten on these tractors as you increase/decrease the rpm as well?

Thanks,

-Paul

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paul........you ask......"How can I tell if my system is charging?".......would it surprize you to learn that is what your AMMETER is for??? When running, you should read 3-5 amps (+) Iff'n it reads (-) minus amps, guess what??? It ain't charging. ........respectfully, Dell

Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:06:14 11/16/12) Paul........you ask......"How can I tell if my system is charging?".......would it surprize you to learn that is what your AMMETER is for??? When running, you should read 3-5 amps (+) Iff'n it reads (-) minus amps, guess what??? It ain't charging. ........respectfully, Dell

Dell, that assumes the ammeter is wired properly. If the wire is going through the loop the wrong direction, the gauge will read plus when it should be minus and vice versa. I want to verify that it is doing the right thing before I trust that gauge.

Besides, it's barely off zero...

I've got a couple of analog meters I'll try. One is the $10 cheapie and the other is on my $90 battery load tester. That one's easier to use with the nice big cables and clamps...

-Paul

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" If the wire is going through the loop the wrong direction, the gauge will read plus when it should be minus and vice versa. "

Huh?

It's a loop.

It can't go in the wrong direction because the ends of the wire are still attached to the correct terminals. The wire goes from point A thru the loop on the ammeter to point B.

How could that possibly read backwards?
75 Tips

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce if you think about it for a moment you would see that he probably has the battery wired back wards as in - ground so yep the amp gauge would in fact read back wards. My Oliver 77 is that way and has been since I got ti but I know the alternator works just fine so I have not changed it since I know it is wired back wards so his tractor probably has the same problem

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty sure (I have 3 or 4 of em) that you can go thru the loop the wrong way.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe I'm having a CRS moment.

On an 8N, point A is the solenoid. Point B is the terminal block. The wire goes from the solenoid through the loop on the meter to the terminal block. Or, vice-versa.....doesn't matter.

How can it go through the loop backwards?

CRS moment?!

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The current flows one way, the needle deflects one way, if the current reverses, the needle deflects the other way. Maybe I'm wrong but I know I've reversed it on a 9N.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well yea, if you reverse the current (as old said) it will read backwards.

But if it's a loop meter & one end of the wire is on the terminal block & the other is on the solenoid, it's not 'reversible'!

On a 9N.....it goes to the hot side of the starter switch, right?

Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce,

The meter works both ways--it reads positive if electrons are flowing in one direction and negative if they are flowing in the other.

Assume that normally, the electrons flow from the terminal block to the ammeter and then to the solenoid, and that's a positive reading (I may have it backwards, but it doesn't matter for the sake of the argument). If it's wired so the wire goes through the loop left to right, the ammeter shows positive. If I rewire it so it goes through right to left, the ammeter "sees" the electrons moving the other way, and will read negative, even though the wire itself still has the electrons moving the same way.

Do you have a clamp-on DC ammeter? (I do--very useful device!) If so, clamp it on a cable with DC current and take a reading. Then unclamp it, flip it over so it's facing the other way, reclamp it and take another reading--it will be negative if the first was positive. This is the same effect.

To paraphrase a common poster here: It's the Law--Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law, working together in this case...

-Paul

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to tell if it's charging? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

9$ tractor suply analog volt meter.. and a 10$ center 0 ammeter.. and you can tell if it's charging, how much current.. and what voltage.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.