Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

246-247 planter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloydd

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

how long will it take to plant 500 acres

Carlyle hoffman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To long, you will be much OLDER and then much wiser. LOL

Brendon-KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Based on my calculations you will need to travel 687 miles to plant 500 acres with a two row 36" planter. How long it takes will depend on how fast you drive so you can do the math from here. Don't forget to add 20% to your time to account for inefficiencies.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 row planters were advertised as to be able to plant UP TO 30 acres per day but that I think was figured on the 42" row width and probably mile long fields using the smallest seed avaible and the furthest apart seed spacing the planter would plant. Under normal use with that planter we would figure an 8-10 acre field per day so 50 to 60 days and that would be with others having ground ready and being there ready to start dumping seed without you getting off tractor.

MF Poor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya better get started now if you wanna be done by next fall.

Set @ 30" rows, allowing time to fill seed (and fertilizer), making turns, ect, and considering 246 planters don't like speeds much more than 4mph, you'll be lucky to plant 25 acres in a LONG day.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

30" rows would be taking about 2/3 of the width that 30 acres per day was figured at so that would take you down to 20 acres per day and figuring fertilizer fill up and a normal planting spacing with normal seed sizes would take you down to 15 acres a day and that is for a 10 hour day so to get to the 25 acres a day you would be looking at a 17 hour day at least.

MF Poor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope. 30 acres per day with 30" rows....BTDT, planted many an acre with 2-row planter back in the day.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Deere only says 30 acres per day for 2 row, 60 for 4 row. And I have used the 246 on many a acre plus the 494 on a lot of acres.

MFPoor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on how long your day is. Believe it or not, John Deere doesn't know everything.

MFPoor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your math is a bit questionable to say the very least. 40" to 30" doesn't take it down 2/3rds. It takes it down 1/4th. I've planted 30 acres+ in a day with 2-row planters so many time I lost count. Theories and speculation go straight out the window when facts and history dis-prove those theories.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And I know for a fact that we could have never gotten close to that in a 10 hour day with change of drivers to keep going. And getting factual 2/3 of 42" is 28" so that is close to the 2/3 of the width at 30" they rated them on as standard width at that time was 42" and not 40". I said that 30" is about 2/3 of the 42" and not the figure of 1/4That you come up with, you are doing a different way of measuring. And there was no way when we went to the 4 row planter could we get close to the Deere rated for a 2 row let alone the rating for a four row.

MF Poor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So...because you couldn't do something that hundreds upon thousands of people found relatively easy to do, you think it's impossible....And you're math has me laughing!

I've planted more than 45 acres in an 8 hour day with a 4-row 30" planter. You seriously had to change drivers to plant a full day? Wow....That explains volumes. Are you a girl?

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 246-247 planter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am a 69 year old guy that spent his whole life on the farm. I find your figures like when I rented a 40 tillable acre farm and come to finding out it was only 31 acres so that makes me wonder if you are like so many others that the so called acres are way different than they actually are. Believe what you want, I know what facts are.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.