Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you do?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a thought from another thread. I also posted there.

Let's say a catastrophe happens and you are left to fend for yourself

I feel that many of 'think' we are prepared but what if....?

I live within 150 miles of a city that has a population of 300,000 people. So, after something bad happens (like hurricane Sandy, for example) and people become desperate. (loss of life at 30%=90,000. 210,000 left alive).
Fast forward, after a few weeks, this mob of people will begin to branch out further into the country looking for food to survive..)
Average human walking speed is 5 MPH. let's say they walk 10 hours per day= 50 miles a day. I live 150 miles away. That is 3 days walking time. Some are weak and can't walk as fast so they will come in waves. (Loss of life at 50%=105,000. 105,000 left alive).
Now I have a 105,000 people coming at me that are hungry and wanting to feed their kids. I don't have enough food to share with everyone (food would be gone in less than a day), but there is not enough bullets to ward off 105,00 attackers! Let alone, the surrounding areas that also joined them.
In my opinion, your best bet would be to run and hide and avoid any contact with others.

Greg K
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off I would doubt that 105,000 people are going to say" let's go to "Greg's place, I bet he has food!". lol It would be survival of the fittest and might equals right, kinda the law of the jungle.

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"It would be survival of the fittest and might equals right, kinda the law of the jungle."

Just because you can "beat me up"? Does that make it right?

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're safe if you live in New York. Mayor Bloomberg says not to feed the hungry because there's no way to check the fat or sugar content.

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg1959 wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:04:58 11/16/12) "It would be survival of the fittest and might equals right, kinda the law of the jungle."

sure beats runnin and hidin all to hel!

barnE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheBible has all the answers. Read it.

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dave2 wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:13:27 11/17/12)
Greg1959 wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:04:58 11/16/12) "It would be survival of the fittest and might equals right, kinda the law of the jungle."

sure beats runnin and hidin all to hel!

Laughing

boomer1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well look at it this way- half of them will have their hats on sideways or backwards so the sun will be in their eyes-won't know which way they are going-nothing to worry about-alot of them hold their guns sideways-there are no sights on the side of guns-no worry there-again alot of them will not want to walk that far because they might get their new Air Jordon JUMP HIGH-RUN FAST SNEAKERS that they stood in line for two days to get-Dirty-so I think you will be alright-One thirty shot clip should get the rest----GOOD LUCK-if you need backup-let me know!!!!!!!!

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt that most modern folks can walk at 5 MPH for a sustained period, and I certainly don't think most folks could walk 50 miles in a day. I couldn't without working up to it and training. It has been my experience that often what goes wrong in a situation is something I have not even thought of till it happens, so I have given up on trying to plan for all eventualities and I am trying to learn to be flexible and adapt as needed.
Zach

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

barnE wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:23:19 11/16/12) TheBible has all the answers. Read it.

afraid it'd just be one sided don"tcha think?? Doubt the ones headin out to steal the food would be doin much readin.... On second thought, there's some thumpers that'd switch some wording to justify thievery so's they wouldn't starve and could make it to church on sunday....

Walt Davies
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Personaly I think that you watch to much junk on TV.
Walt

Greg K
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I'm not too sure I could beat you up, I never could fight my way out of a wet paper bag! No that doesn't make it right by todays standards(and mine), but that has been the way for thousands of years and it would revert back to it given a chance.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really like this post, lol,

lloyd in sc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had an old 1st Sgt who used to reply at the first groan with(G### D##### don't ask me is it right ask me is it real...
Root hog or die They won't care...

Bob Huntress
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you do? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg, if I may be so forward, a stark difference exist between worst case and severe probable case. I disaster could affect an immediate, short term or long term time span. Most disasters that we have faced have only had grave immediate effects. Superstorm Sandy did great damage, yet, most effected returned to a managable point withing a few weeks. If you live in New York City, today food is available at a reasonable (if NY ever has a reasonable food price) price. In order to have a disaster where the immediate effect of no food or potable water becomes a long term issue, it would almost have to be a nationwide disaster. Prior to 105,000 hungry and disoriented victims desend on your place Greg, like an old zombie movie, they will have expendended all food supplies within their immediate reach, much of it will likely be contaminated, anyhow. This means that counting the intitial casualties from the disaster, plus those who were added by infections and other delayed effects (such as lack of on going treatment for preexisting conditions, Diabetics etc), plus those who because of lack of water, plus those who contract illness due to unsanitary conditions, we can now add those who died of food borne pathogens. Basically, most of that 105,000 semi zombies from the old black and white movie. will have died off long before reaching Greg's place. On the down side, however, the remenant 500 that actually hobbled their last ounce of strength to get to your mega fortress are most likely carrying diseases that are highly contagious. So while you may easily lay them usunder with the chain fed machine gun that all of us republicans keep under our beds, you had better quickly don your tyvek suit and OBA and proceed to burn the corpses, before your family and friends start dying of some ancient Egyptian plaque.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.