Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti-Virus software recommdations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtirediron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good morning! I apologize in advance if we've beaten this topic to death recently. I looked in archives and didn't find anything recent. McAffe
keeps reminding me they want to take their yearly trip into my pocket for Anti Virus software. The product has worked flawlessly for our family on 2 laptops (running windows 7) that both surf the net pretty hard, especially in the winter months. We do all online bill pay and all banking possible from home. What are you fellow YTers using on your home computers and approx cost if you know please. Just want to look around a little before I buy another year. Thanks, Tom B.

robgIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used McAfee for a few years but it seemed like it slowed down my computer more and took a lot of space and they hose you on the renew price if you are not really careful. I switched to Norton 360 a couple years ago and have been very happy so far. It may be overkill but I have a teenager who is on the computer all the time and we have had zero virus issues even with facebook etc.I know very little about computers so I'm no expert but I would reccomend it. I think it is around 60 bucks a year for up to 3 computers. There are cheaper alternatives but one trip to the computer repair shop is way more than that.

BillB52
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a desktop running Windows 7 and have been using Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't checked recently, but it was available as a free download from the Microsoft website. It has done a very good job keeping my system up and running.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive tried em all, McAffee, Norton, AVG, the free ones etc etc out the ying yang

But my absolute favorite is Avanquest System Suite Professional which as a tonnnnnnnn of system tools and tune ups also, works great no virus or spyware problems for yearsssssss

John T

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

me too!

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

me too!

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MSE freebie and malwarebytes paid but a freebie is available

Badger08
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give ESET a try, they are based out of Minneapolis, MN and dealing with computers and such at work a customer told me to give it a try. I run my Mac without AV but my Windows 7 computer at work I figured I would try it out. It's very good....very minimal as far as pop up and such, just does it jobs. One nice thing I like about it is that when new Windows Updates are released it pop's up and says your missing updates and then you go ahead and do them.

They make different versions, 4 is the older one and 5 is the newer one. I can't remember which one I have on mine, but have bought each for customers.

Also this is how I buy AV - just look at Newegg/Tiger every so often on their daily deals and sooner or later they have it and other AV's for discount. Typically after the new year as they want to see their newest version. That's what I do...it's paid antivirus for a quarter of the cost.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get my internet through a local computer shop which is populated with the smartest computer geeks in the universe. They don't charge for tech support if you buy your computers through them, so of course, I do. They used to put AVG on everything, but the latest ones have Microsort Security. They said its about the best thing out there now, and its free. Suits me, they know what they're doing.

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Get Microsoft Security Essentials for the low, low price of free."
Microsoft Security Essentials

Doug in Illinois
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree on Microsoft. My computer man told me to delete all else and run Microsoft.

Seems to be doing OK for now.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There all junk! Switch your operating system over to Linux, then there is no need for any anti virus. Wink

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep. My main computer at home uses Ubuntu and it breezes through everything on a computer that is about 8 years old. The OS is free and the updates are free. Currently using the 12.04 version and it has all the features that Microsoft charges hundreds of dollars for.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kasparsky has worked well for me, they don't rush the renewal like some. The Kasparsky gadget tells you how many days remaining on your protection and doesn't hound you to buy a year's subscription every six months like some people do and if you un-install it it doesn't come back like the zombie virus from Hades.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus software recommdations Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had McAffe and others and had problems with them. I now use Norton which is provided by cable company at no cost to me. I have found that I have less trouble by letting the computer doing a virus scan on shut down and it turns the computer off when done.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.