Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall m - whats up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

atached is a graph showing the pto torque curve of 2 farmall super m motors. The bottom is a pure stock, somewhat worn out 264 inch super m. The top is a somewhat built up 281 inch motor with higher compression and a cam.

Can anyone tell me why the torque takes a dive the way it does in the circled area? What might be going on here?

The tractors were dynoed on the same dyno, the same day. A M&W slide chart was used to calculate HP, then the HP and PTO speed were used to calculate torque.

I dynoed 3 other tractors that day, (not farmalls)and no other tractor experienced this dive in torque at 400-450 pto rpm which makes me think that it is nothing to do with the dyno.

Any idea what might be going on with these super m motors?

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just my SWAG but is it the way the Farmall gov is working?
AaronSEIA

Ed Carlsen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a thought carbs on farmalls frosting or was the same fuel used in the farmall tractors (high octain?)not enough compression to burn that fuel?

johns
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the cam has the biggest effect on the torque curve and where it climbs and drops. Surprising it is in about the same range on both tractors.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sticky advance mechanism in distributor?

CLIFF S
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My SMTA would Change like that too But it was the time the Gov Opened up all the way!

I Changed the Gov Spring to a Stiffer One and it Helped make the Gov Smoove Out and Gained about 2 Hp at 540 on the pto!

Cliff S

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is not the gov. For the sake of the dyno test, the 281 had a very stiff spring. Likely would give 2500 rpm or higher. I loaded the motor up at part throttle, then opened the throttle up all the way. I then baked off the dyno till rpm's cam up to 700 pto. I didn't want to let it go any higher and didn't feel the need as I run slower than that at a pull. The gov was for sure wide open all the way.

The dist in this tractor has a 40 deg plate in it - could it be something to do with ignition timing and a change in the advance at that rpm? Would a dist with a 30 deg or 25 deg plate be a better choice?

CLIFF S
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The More Compression the Less timing advance to Loug well!

I would Try a Distubitor with Less Advance and make Shure it works Smoove on the Advance and not hanging up!

Cliff S

High Octane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

north, use stiff advance springs, or lock it up all together like a mag. itll help.

MLPANKEY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

main thing is cams advanced to much. distributor needs advanced lockout and timed for initial timming . my two cents

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How may motor rpm's will the tq curve shift with 1
deg change in cam timming?

MLPANKEY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

north puller wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:42:25 11/19/12) How may motor rpm's will the tq curve shift with 1
I wish it was that easy . A cam with a duration of 200 @50 should be maxed out by 3000 or a tic above when put in straight up but rod length etc is variables that change (general)characteristics .

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MLPANKEY wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:31:27 11/19/12)
north puller wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:42:25 11/19/12) How may motor rpm's will the tq curve shift with 1
I wish it was that easy . A cam with a duration of 200 @50 should be maxed out by 3000 or a tic above when put in straight up but rod length etc is variables that change (general)characteristics .

Although it could be a timing issue. I have seen simalar results when a clutch is slipping. Especially since you mention pulling the throttle open from partial. My guess is clutch slipping.

MLPANKEY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m - whats up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dodgeit wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:56:51 11/19/12)
MLPANKEY wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:31:27 11/19/12)
north puller wrote:

Although it could be a timing issue. I have seen simalar results when a clutch is slipping. Especially since you mention pulling the throttle open from partial. My guess is clutch slipping.
True I would have thought that would be ruled in or out by the dyno not being able to pull engine rpms down.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.