Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT profiteering or normal occurence?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berth 29 opinions
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: OT profiteering or normal occurence? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Noted last week that when the price of gasoline and batteries went up last month after Sandy it was called profiteering... followed by a story that hotel room prices rose up to 400% after the re election of the President... this is called the normal business cycle..

I consider the first as normal as well.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OT profiteering or normal occurence? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How come when a group of businesses get together and decide they won't sell their wares for less than a specific amount that's collusion and against the law.

BUT

If a group of workers gets together and determines they won't work for less than a specific amount or won't do certain tasks and the business isn't allowed to hire workers that will do the specified work at the offered price that's called union activity and it something we are supposed to revere and sacrifice to protect.

da.bees
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OT profiteering or normal occurence? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Prices riseing and falling is the American way as long as it's based soley on supply and demand without intentional interference.
Other considerations not withstanding,cattle prices will drop and stay during drought then recover and remain up after feed and pasture comes back. I would call that normal.
If I had a flowing spring in Southwest Texas that produced more water than I could use and I charge my neighbor almost as much as it would cost him to truck in water,I call that profiteering rather than supply and demand.
If USDA droped inspections and tariff on imported beef but strenghtened controls on domestic beef,domestic prices would drop and possiably crater while South American beef would rise. I call that Government doing what they consider a good job of shoring up globel economy.

MoMike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: OT profiteering or normal occurence? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about a group of farmers getting together to bargain for the best price on what they sell or buy? Whats good for one is good for the other.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OT profiteering or normal occurence? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MoMike wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:10:54 11/17/12) How about a group of farmers getting together to bargain for the best price on what they sell or buy? Whats good for one is good for the other.

They did that. It was the NFO.
http://www.nfo.org/

Just be a CEO or CFO or one of the top execs of any business, give yourself raises and run it into bankruptcy.
No criminal charges ever. I am going to apply to a few places to get on their board of directors. Work my way up, I have to retire in 20 years one way or another... Wink

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: OT profiteering or normal occurence? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ever read the story about the Grasshopper and the
Ant? Grasshopper played around and wasted his assets while the Ant stored up/prepared for Winter and rough times,when the rough times times came the Ant told the Grasshopper Tough Poop you were warned and did nothing so now you suffer the consequences.No one thinks they have to suffer the consequences these days for being short sighted and irresonsible.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: OT profiteering or normal occurence? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dalet wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:41:43 11/17/12)
MoMike wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:10:54 11/17/12) How about a group of farmers getting together to bargain for the best price on what they sell or buy? Whats good for one is good for the other.

They did that. It was the NFO.
http://www.nfo.org/

Just be a CEO or CFO or one of the top execs of any business, give yourself raises and run it into bankruptcy.
No criminal charges ever. I am going to apply to a few places to get on their board of directors. Work my way up, I have to retire in 20 years one way or another... Wink

CEOs don't set their pay, the board of directors sets it. At the end of the contract they can renegotiate for more.

If the CEO of Wal Mart were to work for free with the savings passed on to the customer you would see no change on the price tag. They sell hundreds of billions of items a year. It would be less than a penny an item. Set down and work out the total number of hourly workers they hire world wide, then figure out the number of hours they are paying for a year and you couldn't give the workers more than a couple of cents an hour if that money was applies to pay raises. Fords CEO pay would amount to about 6 bucks a car, but employees pay/bennies and retirement pay account for 67% of the price of a new car. Cut current Ford employees pay and bennies in half would reduce the price of a new vehicle about 17.5%. On a new 55,000 buck pickup that's close to 10K.

Rick

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.