Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help Removing H Radiator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstates
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Need Help Removing H Radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I'm trying to remove the fan and waterpump from my '52 H, but it doesn't come out like a video I saw of an M waterpump being removed(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2tmR7Zmyhk). Even with the radiator rocked forward there isn't room to get it out. So it looks like I need to remove the radiator (which I was thinking about doing soon anyway). My question is... how does the steering shaft come out? Does it come out from the front? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Removing H Radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To remove the radiator you must remove the grill and on the
wishbone shaped casting at the front end you will see a large pipe
cap which you unscrew with a large wrench. Then you will need to
remove the bolt that holds the horizontal steering shaft onto the
sloped steering shaft and turn the steering wheel to the right. The
horizontal shaft will come out of the hole where the pipe cap was
and once the shafts are separated you will need to pop the
woodruff key out of the horizontal shaft and then the shaft will
slide right out.
Zach

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Removing H Radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shaft comes out the front

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Removing H Radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The shaft detaches at its rearward end, then the front big plug comes out of the steering box. (clean the shaft if cruddy) then take it out the front. It will screw out for the first 3 inches or so. Jim

dstates
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Removing H Radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys... I decided to go ahead and start taking stuff apart. I ended up doing just as Zach suggested except instead of turning the wheel I turned the castle nut at the front and it came right apart and out.

I was able to get the radiator off as well, only problem is one of the radiator mounting studs broke off in the radiator. Nothing like making more work for myself. I think while I have the radiator off I'll send it to a shop and get it cleaned up.

Thanks!

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Removing H Radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also use your big compressor and a blow gun and spend about 30 minutes blowing 30 years of dust out of it. Do both sides. Geck the stat also. New fan belt when assembling and you have a new cooling system.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.