Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble with lights after converting 4010 diesel to 12 volts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TxBrangus
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Trouble with lights after converting 4010 diesel to 12 volts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I purchased a conversion kit from db electrical to swap my 4010 diesel tractor over to a 12 volt system. I installed a one wire alternator and starter along with the solenoid that was included. After putting it all back together when I turn my light switch on only the right headlight comes on. Anyone have an idea, where I went wrong?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with lights after converting 4010 diesel to 12 v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds as if you don't have both the blue & brown wires attached to the top post on the starter solenoid. Those 2 wires supply the battery "A" & "B" posts on the light switch.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with lights after converting 4010 diesel to 12 v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim has ya on the right track, heres some info on how they worked before so you can figure her out. On the old system some lights got power from battery A and the others battery B. Now that you only have a single 12 volt source BOTH the A and B circuits still gotta have power. The old switch had A and B inputs so just jumper over power from the one that has voltage to the one that dont......

John T

TxBrangus
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with lights after converting 4010 diesel to 12 v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Jim and John T, I"ll take a look at it again today...

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with lights after converting 4010 diesel to 12 v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes the Blue and the Brown wire at the starter needs to be put on the battery lug.This works better than a jumper wire at the light switch, it spreads the load on the terminals and keeps them from over heating.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with lights after converting 4010 diesel to 12 v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds great, good tip, cuz actually in the OLD system thats the take off point where the A and B Circuits were fed up from there to the switch as I recall (NOT a new gen expert by any means).......Thats where the two big battery cables were attached (Now only 1), one from the Pos Ground Battery the other the Neg ground battery...

John T

TxBrangus
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with lights after converting 4010 diesel to 12 v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies I think I've got all the lights working properly now....

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.