Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you sharpen your own tools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I started sharpening our tools when I was a sophomore in high school. Use whatever it takes. I've found that my rotary tool with a cut-off disc works real good on carbide saw teeth that are too hard to file.

Used the rotary tool to sharpen a couple Forstner bits this morning.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sharpen everything but skilsaw, and band saw blades.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would sure like to find a circular saw (skillsaw, table saw) sharpening service. Got a lot of blades that could provide useful service if they were sharpened.

Most everything else I do myself. Axes, knives, chainsaws, sicklebars,etc.

Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can sharpen your saw blades on a bench grinder. just need to touch the backside of the tooth on the wheel.

Cas
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been sharpening my my own tools as mentioned above. If I can't sharpen it usually buy a new one.

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RayP(MI) wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:04:07 11/18/12) I would sure like to find a circular saw (skillsaw, table saw) sharpening service. Got a lot of blades that could provide useful service if they were sharpened.

Most everything else I do myself. Axes, knives, chainsaws, sicklebars,etc.

Have you tried Tubergen in Grand Rapids???? They have done very good work for me including my buzzsaw blade.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think Harbor Freight has some type of circular saw blade sharpener, don"t remember what it costs.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought one of HF's saw blade sharping machines. Couldn't get it to work so went back to using the rotary tool with a small cutoff wheel.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a Dremal with a cutoff disk/wheel to sharpen some tools/cutters in my tool shop. Like you, I use what ever I have at hand to get the job done.

ohfred41
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Belsaw Sharp-all is the best circular sharpening machine and you can hang out a shingle and make money doing it.
I taught Mommy to do it and she liked to do it cause she stuck with it for a long time.
You can buy a foreign diamond grinding wheel for cheap and do the Tungsten Carbide tipped blades just as well.
If you got one for sale, let me know by email.
ohfred41

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you sharpen your own tools? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I learned in highschool too - my dad taught me.

My dad was good at a lot of things, but unfortunately, sharpening tools was NOT one of them.

Later in life I learned on my own that a bench grinder was not the ideal way to sharpen a wood chisel.

I'll never forget the first time I finally figured it out - sharpening one of his old hand planes. I did have to grind it first to get the angle right after so many bad attempts by him - then honed it - stropped it - and actually got it so I could easily shave hairs off my arm with it.

I never realized you could get a tool that sharp without "fancy equipment" (as my dad always told me we'd need). I always thought shaving hair on your arm was some kind of exageration.

Just wish I had figured it out while he was alive. It's really simple once you "get it", but he just never learned how to do it right.

He always appreciated a sharp tool, but for him, that meant buying a new one, and that's as good as it would ever be.

I've learned that the difference between a plane or a chisel sharpened properly with care, and one that's "close enough" is hard to even put into words.

He really would have loved using a truly sharp plane. Wish I figured it out earlier - he was always so frustrated by dull tools.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.