Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plow and side draft.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2510Paul
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Plow and side draft. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is it on a plow that keeps it from plowing too far to the left or towards the unplowed ground? Paul

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow and side draft. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Landsides

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow and side draft. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A plow will also draft to the left side if it is not leveled fore and aft. When plowing, the plow should be level front to back as well as side to side.

Some plows have a rolling landside (tail wheel) that prevents excessive wear on the bottom landsides.

What about your tread setting on the tractor? Is the furrow wheel set to give the plow a proper width of cut?

Is this a drawn, mounted or semi-mounted plow? If drawn the hitch may be too far to the left causing the plow to pull crooked.

2510Paul
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Plow and side draft. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IH 720 4x18 SemiMount. It seems to always want to drift to the Left alot. It also has a sidehill hitch to maintain that front bottom cut width. Thanks. Paul

Longmeadow farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow and side draft. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All suggestions up to now have been excellent, especially the leveling of the plow and tread width. If you are using the side hill hitch adjustment to compensate for incorrect wheel spacing, then this could be your problem. I don't have a problem with my JD 4 bottom semi-mount plow... but then I use the proper sway blocks for a category 2 hitch. I also adjust my tail wheel to "push" the plow toward the right... as per the operations manual. If it gets too far right..like on a slope I adjust the cross-bar using my hydraulics.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Plow and side draft. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hitch should be pullin from the center of draft, such as 2 btm. center is between 1st and 2nd btm. 3btm draft is in line with the middle btm. To compensate for hitch at correct position will have to change wheel spacing or drawbar. All plow manuals go into great detail on the subject.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.