Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme(Aust)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the most comprehensive sources of information on Ferguson and early MF tractors can be found on the FENA site:

http://fergusontractors.org/fena/wp-content/uploads/Paintcolornumbers.02.18.2011.pdf

Unfortunately for Australian Ferguson owners, there are no listed paints for TE20 Grey/Vintage Grey nor Ferguson Light Grey.

Paint suppliers in Australia donít seem to have access to the Nth American or UK paint code formulae from manufacturers such as DuPont, NAPA, Sherwin Williams, Tisco, Valspar, Vapormatic, etc.

I have found the closest reliable light grey easily mixed in Australia is (AS2700:2011) Australian Standard "N53 Blue-Grey".

Also by chance I have found the Wattyl KillRust Epoxy Enamel "Pewter" is a very close match to the above. Certainly cheaper to buy local paint than to import.

Graeme

Plough in "N53 Blue Grey" and trailer in "Pewter"

Last edited by Graeme(Aust) on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Charles in Aus.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Graeme , any suggestions on a grey or gold available in Australia to match the lighter grey and copper /gold on the FE 35 Grey and Gold ? Thanks .

Graeme(Aust)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles

Check out the FENA colour chart.

There is a distinction between the Ferguson Gray M-1001 for TE20 tractors, and the Ferguson Light Gray M-1011 for early FE35, (which I presume is the Grey and gold).

There is not a lot of difference between these two colours. I think the N53 is closer to the Ferguson Gray M-1001.

As for the Gold, it is listed by FENA as M-1029 Bronze (engine gold). I don't know if there is an equivalent Australian Standard colour. There are some gold colours but I don't know if they are anything like the Ferguson gold.

The FENA document mentions a gold available in Australia from AGCO/MF dealers as 3931 029 M5. Don't know if it is available.

Graeme

Matt 49 TEA Australia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Graeme call GW tractors in Melbourne or Brisbane they import all Vapormatic parts into Australia, regards Matt.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles, Cyclops will go mental if he hears you mention paint on that FE35 and this time I tend to agree with him. My Idea would be if you want a nice grey gold then buy a rough one and do it and keep that bit of history alive!!
Sam

Charles in Aus.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Sir ! I will go back to class right away , promise .

Bendee
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you all located.

Auction in Murchison Victoria in 5 days time.

Ferguson Items,
fully restored 1950 Perkins 3 cl TE20 Petrol both in mint condition,
Grey fergie,rare 1956 gold Fergie,rare front end loader,post hole diggers,winch, swing saw,ripper, mowers,rake, disc,slasher, baler,scoops,grader blades,mainly all badged, assorted manuals & tools.

Seems a Collectors dream.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go with a metalic maroon and safety yellow stripes, but to keep Sam happy, why don't you lot go to an automotive paint shop, have them get on the FENA website, and match the colours...with a U, to what's on the monitor, if they can't make sense of the paint code numbers? May not cost any more than factory made paint, and heaps less than the wrong paint...

Paul in AZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Two years ago when I was researching the paint color numbers for the FENA website, I spent quite a bit of time in communication with one of the major tractor after-market parts manufacturers/distributers in Australia/NZ. I had hoped to cross reference some of their Ferguson/early MF paint numbers on the FENA site. However, we had significant disagreements about correct colors for some of these tractors. So I decided to list only those supplied by MF/AGCO in Australia & New Zealand rather than get embroiled in an international dispute (We have anough international disagreements about everything under the sun so why add to the list. Ha!).

Paul Nelson

Graeme(Aust)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles, Matt

I contacted GW Tractors, (have outlets in Brisbane and Melbourne), re the early Ferguson colours.

They have in stock 1 litre cans of Vapormatic bronze VLB5199 at nearly AUS$43. Don't know if larger cans are available. Also have the early grey and red colours as specified in FENA document.

Graeme

Bob (Aust)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years ago a guy in Dalby that previously worked for Ferguson in the UK, removed a TEA20 date plate and had the unfaded paint underneath analysed. That original and accurate Ferguson grey paint is available from ColorStop in Toowoomba as "Austmech Ferguson Grey".

Having said that, I am advised that Ferguson may have used slightly differing shades of grey over the years.

One rumour - untrue I'm sure - was that the first grey paint was war surplus, purchased cheap from the Royal Navy! Laughing

richardinnz
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use Bare-co, a different shade in every tin! lol!
Seriouly, the Vapormatic stuff will be spot on and it is a good quality paint. The U.S. colours are different to the English, originally as said below it was just Battleship grey so the colours would have vairied in production. Like every one else has found there is not a world wide standard for paint colours, no one here in NZ would recognize British Standard paint codes when trying to get David Brown Hunting Pink, I was nearly sold Case Red, Bare-co even say to use MF red!

HeyCharger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I'm about to repaint my red/grey FE35 back into grey/gold, is the gold metallic? I've seen some photos of the metallic gold/copper and it look really great. Comments appreciated. Thanks. Rod.

robert shanley
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian paint colours for Grey Ferguson tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the grey paint from under the bonnet of my fathers 1952 tea20 analized and it came back as a paint used in Aust. under the name of Mitzey Grey used by a firm in Qld Aust. I have finished a 1954 tea and it looks just like my dads.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.