Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TE 20 starter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivan in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: TE 20 starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a TE 20 and had the starter rebuilt about 10 years ago. It does not get used much so probably has 50 hours on it after it was rebuilt. I let my son take it to use and it sat outside at his place for the last 2 years. I always kept it in the barn. I went and got it a weeks or so ago and it started right up.After I got it home I went to move it inside and it would not engage the starter. I am getting power to the starter but it won't roll the starter until I run a jumper wire to it then it will roll part of the time. I have got a good ground and haave checked all the wire connections. Yesterday I took the starter off and hot wired it and it will work part of the time. Any ideas of what could be wrong with it? Could it just be dirty from moistue? I plan on taking it apart today and cleaning and lube it up anything else I should check? Thanks Ivan

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: TE 20 starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will be the starter switch on top of the Clutch Housing under the battery position. You may be able to adjust this by slackening the 4 small bolts and push it forward and then re-tighten the bolts. If that doesn't cure it then you need to change the switch, these are available from this site..John(UK)...fergusontractors@hotmail.com

phil(va)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TE 20 starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say you took the starter off and on the bench it only turned the starter gear part of the time? Has to be inside the starter in that case I would think, unless i misunderstood. A likely culprit might be the connection inside the case to the bolt on top of the starter. Sometimes people turn/tighten the top nut on that bolt without holding the underneath nut and that turns it inside which breaks the connection in the case.

Ivan in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TE 20 starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John the swich was the first thing I checked and it was good. I checked the starter over today and it has a lot of endplay and when I put power to it if it worked it would spin real slow. My stud for mounting the hot wire is on the endcap and not on the side. Thanks for everyones help. Now I will have to see if it can be rebuilt. Ivan

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: TE 20 starter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The stud being in the end cap is the later type. What can happen is that the stud insulation where it passes through the end plate gets burnt with the heat due to a bad connection. It maybe that if you can repair the insulation where the bolt is, the starter will work again, but of course it could also be the coils are damaged in some way.Due to heat generated they become unsoldered. Brushes are another thing that wear and stick in the holders. if you need anything, just email me....John(UK)....fergusontractors@hotmail.com

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.