Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generator Rebuilding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDeereM50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wondering where yall have had the best experiences sending generators off to be rebuilt? I want the one on my M JD completely gone through doing whatever is necessary to make it right like it was back in 1950. Thanks for any help. Happy Thanksgiving.

thurlow
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you had it apart? Probably 80 or 90 percent of the ones I've taken apart, I was able to 'fix' by replacing the brushes, replacing bushings/bearings or soldering some wires back together..........

34gpa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have all mine done by Fred"s Auto Electric in Lincoln Nebr.Very reasonable and does excellent work. call 402-423-7119 and talk to Mike.He will also change a 6v to a 12v or the other way if needed. Been is business for over 25 years which speaks for itself.

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Location is everything.
I have at least 2 good repair guys within 15 or 20 miles of me.

JohnDeereM50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had it apart and cleaned it up. Brushes are worn down some..it does work. I want it gone over professionally though and every item in it checked out.

There are some rebulders close by but I don"t think they give a detailed inspection like what I am wanting. They deal with automotive generators.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try Jeremy Boshears in Bloomington, Indiana:

812-336-5758
812-272-0584
812-336-1609

He does good PLUS excellent lookin work, tell him Ol John T says howdy

John T

Machinery-Man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think there's really much to do...I always clean them up with electrical cleaner...check brushes...take sandpaper and clean up the armature and clean the it up...I found the main culprit to always be the regulator and always replace with new.....

Kurt_JDB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is really no difference between an automotive generator and the generator on your tractor. Some are two brush, some are three brush, but a basic Delco is a basic Delco. So if your local rebuilder can do a bang up job on an automotive generator, he can do the same for your generator. Now if he is used to working only on alternators, that"s a different story.

Here is a link to Classic Generator. Kenneth does a bang up job, and also has any parts you might need. I recently rebuilt a Delco generator that I thought I was going to have to scrap because it had a bad armature. Kenneth fixed me up with a new armature for a very reasonable price.

Kurt
Classic Generator

CaseRider
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're in this part of the contry, migh want to check out these guys. They do good work. Have had several electrical units for older farm equipment (generators, starter-generators, alternators, etc.) refurbished by them over the years.

Spring Prairie Electric, 6189 170th St N, Hawley, MN. Tel: 218-498-0222

As an added bonus, their butcher has a nice setup too!

JDBert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Generator Rebuilding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We could do it. My dad has over 20 years of starter, alternator, generator rebuilding experience. We are in SW mn.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.