Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tech 7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4450 MFWD, Quad range suddenly has no forward gears. (customer actually BACKED it to the shop,over 5 mi.).Have floor out and lid off the box....all shifters moving as they should forks and rails appear OK.By studying the TM and the top shaft layout is it possible that the woodruff keys on the syncro. drive collar have sheared??I see in the parts catalog that the syncro drive collar (part #RE227962) does sub up. What does everyone think of this theory???, Bob

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tech 7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:30:03 11/21/12) 4450 MFWD, Quad range suddenly has no forward gears. (customer actually BACKED it to the shop,over 5 mi.).Have floor out and lid off the box....all shifters moving as they should forks and rails appear OK.By studying the TM and the top shaft layout is it possible that the woodruff keys on the syncro. drive collar have sheared??I see in the parts catalog that the syncro drive collar (part #RE227962) does sub up. What does everyone think of this theory???, Bob

that can happen took one down few weaks back for shifter problem this one had galled up and was still moving

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have to worry some about the care and service the tractor has endured over 3 decades or so. By somebody who will keep driving a broken crippled tractor.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes my vote is a sheared woodruff key and it most likely split the drive collar which is why it didn't gauld as usual they do..Normaly when this happens the shifter binds up and won't let you get to reverse. I have a lot of transmission work going on in here right now, a 4440 PS, a 4440 Quad, and a 4040 Quad, just finished a 4960 PS, and another 4960 coming in next week for a transmission,,got all my splitting stands tyed up..

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a customer who has 8 4020 that he uses in his tobacco operation seem there coming and going quit often with the migrant help it sure good for my cash flow have several customer that raise 200 plus acres of tobacco so lots small to med, and large tractor to keep me busy every thing from allies to deere and ford and ih with a few Massey throwed in just to keep me on my toes along with some combines just to keep it interesting oh forget 1150 and 1150c along with one d6 cat

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not me Ben,,I am strictly Deere Only...and it has to happen here in my shop, I haven't put tags on my service truck for several years, but I have been giving my "ambulance" a good work out..

ben brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My self I like going to farm less it super cold today and Friday project is this 2388 with broken axle

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use to do a lot of combine work off the truck before I built this shop,,now I'm too spoiled to go out :^)..I don't miss the combine work, seems like they always draw a lot of blood...

sideconsole4020guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are right about that Tim lol, I work on them every day and loose a fair share of blood

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hum? A shop full of transmission work but yet everyone seems to claim the're bullet proof when someone asks about them hear ?

DEEREMEYER1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The newest tractor he mentioned is 20 years old. And of course he didn't mention what the work is, besides being transmission work, which could mean anything. Skimp on maintenance, use cheap oil, abuse the tractor or simply wear it out and they all need work sooner or later.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I do think they are near bullet proof, but these are all High hour machines,,and the 44's have the pump screw cranked in,, the PS 44 is a very low(4 digit)serial #, the torsion dampener (dry clutch) was worn bad, that seems to be where the slippage was , I'm going to service the front clutches and the pump while I'm in there, the other 4440 has a trans noise on the "pull" side, I think it's the rear bottom shaft bearing,, it still shifts nice, and stays in gear , I have seen that bearing race kinda 'shell off' before.It is odd to have several 40 series in here, it's like they caught a virus or something :^(,,but when I look at the draw bars I see that they have been on the front line for a long time...

Tech 7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for (most of) the input. Yes the syncro driver was split and keys sheared. FYI this tractor has only about 6000 hr on it and untill a few years back was the "big dog" for this owner and it did a lot of heavy tillage work. Today it does planter,sidedressing and grain buggy work.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A "strong" lurch with a load can cause this,,like a real neck snapper...

Mtjohn

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 4450 Quad Range Problem.....Tim S Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ben it may just be the picture but that rear tire looks huge. Is
this some oversized tire and maybe axle issue or is it factory.
A few years ago when we were still using jd combines I was
driving a 7720 t2 and the whole rear axle fell off the pivot
point. Jacked it back up and was going again same day. Hell
of a ride though.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.