Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHITE 160 good and bad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlshvb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: WHITE 160 good and bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see that there is a 160 MFWD on an upcoming auction. Anyone have one or familiar with one to give a guy some pointers on what too look or watch for?

oliver fan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: WHITE 160 good and bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother has one and he really likes it. The Cummins engine and the good fuel economy are strong selling points. I don't think he has had any problems with it.

B A Star
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: WHITE 160 good and bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a good friend that had a 160 and his brother-in-law has two of them.  The guys are very good at maintenance and have not had any problems, all tractors north of 8000 hrs.

Charles City transmission and final drive, Cummins 8.3L engine and ZF front axle.   All good componenets.  One got traded for a new tractor and was gone from the dealers used lot in two days.

Joel IA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: WHITE 160 good and bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very Good tractor mechanically and in the field. Cons - Does not turn short, and hauling loads down the road with a short wheel base it hopped or bobbed. Otherwise very good tractor, we had one for several years - it was nick named "Bob".

Close by

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: WHITE 160 good and bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Careful what you buy there he didn't have a good reputation probably see you there

jordan hackman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: WHITE 160 good and bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my grandpa has one and my uncle mainly uses it. he doesn't use it as much anymore but it one of the best tractors in the family. good power, can't beat a cummins. the only problems with the tractor is that like all other FWA tractors it has a narrow base and can only make wide turns.

eeairshows
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: WHITE 160 good and bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2-180 FWA re-engined with the 8.3 Cummins. It is a Tourque Monster and I really like the over under feature. Turn raduis is = to or better than my 2wd JD 4440

Th bads are that it is almost impossible to shift from one gear to another on the fly which makes it a pain to haul in with. However, it's worst problem is that it is a rough riding SOB, which is a function of it's short wheel base. An air ride seat helped, but not enough. I am trying to find a front end loader to put on mine and retire it from field use because of the rough ride. I have back problems. If you don't the 160 is probably a great tractor for you.

eeairshows
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: WHITE 160 good and bad Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot to say that the other White weakness I am aware of is that the radiator fan shroud on both my 2-105 & 2-180 were jokes as there is no horizontal surface area near the fan so the "shroud" basically isn't one and on hot days they are prone to overheating.

I have just put up with it on my 2-105. On the 2-180 I retrofitted a shroud off an old JD7520. That, along with removing the stock headlights for extra air intake area and putting on a more efficient fan completely cured it and I have pulled it hard on a 100+ degree day without it ever overheating.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.