Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear oil for a Super C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred smith
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Farmall super C that makes a good amount of noise in 3rd and 4th gear only and was wondering when I chance my gear oil should I use 85w-140 or 80-90 and maybe add a gallon or so of lucas with it? What would help to quite the gears any at all?

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that is what i do 85-140 and a gallon of lucas

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

uncle henry wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:27:24 11/22/12) that is what i do 85-140 and a gallon of lucas

Don't overfill it. My A only takes 6 quarts and I use 85w140. My tranny makes some noise in road gear and a little in 3rd as well.

ken house
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

crack open the drain plug and let the water drain out, close and fill with oil. my friend recommends this.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wou7ld drain and then fill with 4 gal of diesel drive around a little then drain and refill with 150wt sure wont hurt. The straight cut gears can sure be noisy sometimes. I have found when replacing the input seal i also replace the bearing and most of the time it sure quiets the gear noise just makes sense if the input shaft has play the main shaft will transmit noise to other gears.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I do when I have a tractor that does not use the same oil for hyds as the rear/trans I use the 85W-140 and then add some graphite if I can find it to the oil and that helps a lot more then any other snake oil like that Lucas stuff

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use straight 140 if you are not in a cold climate. The gears in a C or SC are usually quiet compared to an A or Super A. They probably have some wear, serious I don't know. Remember each gear will give a different noise, if just a hum it is normal.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They made noise when new in 4th gear.

S2710
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you drain the oil check to see if there is a abnormal amount of metal filings in the oil and the bottom of the rear end. This will help to decide if it is OK or a bearing going bad.

Bob

fred smith
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great comments and I will try the heavier oil.

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Deere store sells powdered graphite in a fair sized bottle for planter plate lube. That might be what you want. Not expensive the last time I bought some.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gear oil for a Super C Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Next time I am around a JD dealer I may have to stop in and check it out. Sad thing is the closest one is some 30 or so miles from me. Doing the graphite thing was an old hot rodders trick and you put it in the rear end and transmission if it was stick shift and in theory it reduced friction so you got butter MPG and faster times on the track

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.