Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show me your steel lathes !!!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Husker44A
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These are very fun to run. I'm not that advanced in life as some of you guy are (34 years young) Everything I've learned is all self taught. From reading books and the web on these machines. I'm also looking to get a knee mill at some point. Anyways, tell me what brand, age and how long have you owned it. We have a Grizzly 13x40. Not the best but it does what we want it to do fairly accurate. Please no CNC machines. Looking for older machines. Photo to come ....Thanks

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1910 13 inch South Bend gear change with 6 foot bed (total length). About 3 feet between centers. Bought it about 1968 while in college, working at a machine shop. Bought a 50s(?) 18 inch swing quick change with 8 foot bed a few years ago. Both are floor models. Both lathes cost me either side of $900 at the time.

Husker44A
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WOW!!!!! 1910 South Bend....very cool. And still going at 102 years old..

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1949 10 inch south bent lathe with a 36 inch bed. Still have the operator's manual with it. I've owned for 35 years, second owner. Still accurate. I don't use it a lot, but I'll never sell it. Nice to make things you can't buy. Latest project was making a brass bushing for an old cement mixer out of two brass bushings. There wasn't a large enough bushing available so I got a bushing with a 5/8 ID that would fit inside another bushing with a large enough OD for the mixer. Had to turn down the large bushing and ream out the ID of the large bushing so I could press the two together. $20 for two bushings, priceless having a lathe.

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish I had a metal lathe to show off. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have one. As far as mills go Bridgeport is the most common. I recently bought a Tree brand mill. Looks very similar to a Bridgeport but uses a different type of collet. I haven't used it yet.
Watch the auction ads. There are some deals to be had on used machine equipment.

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a LeBlond 30" swing that leblond says
is about a 1903. Serial #s started in 1905 and
this lathe has a lot # . It is one of six lathes
that I have. Smallest being a little hardinge
and the next being a Lodge & Shipley 14".

30" Leblonde in place

george

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a logan 9" 200 that was my dads, and just got a new Grizzly vertical mill.

AlinArk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

george i don't remember seeing that much floor.. [g] al

Jim in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your Tree mill probably requires Z or ZZ style collets. They aren't very popular but are available from a few manufacturers. You won't run across used ones frequently, but there is a ebay seller that lists plenty of odd size collets.

Jeff NWOH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

17" LeBlond. Probably about 5' between centers. I'm guessing its from 40's or 50's.

I bought it at auction 7 or 8 years ago. It hasn't been that clean or uncluttered for a long time....

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

16x60 Summit. Why rated 16" swing I have not a clue? will swing 20" over the ways, 3" spindle hole. Rapids both directions, power feed on the tail stock, threads US, Metric, Modual and dimeteric pitches. Shown here boring some 5 1/4" tractor sleeves. Not a golden oldie though. I purchased it brand new in 2001 and paid for it with one threading contract. I would quit working on old stuff if I had to get rid of my lathe.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Summit is a very good lathe. Is your Summit an oil country model? I was at a distributor's show back in the 80's and I think the oil country lathes had a bigger hole through the spindle for threading drill pipe. They also had a Summit horizontal boring mill taking pretty big chips off of a big valve a customer donated for the demo.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you I didn't want to go on and on about it but I do like my Summit. Mine is what they used to call the their classic engine lathe. I think the lathes you are talking about are also known as pipe lathes? There used to be an outfit here in town that all they did was thread casings and they had Summits with 24" spindle holes. There wasn't a bed per say but a set of tail rollers that copuld be moved in out out much like a huge steady rest.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most lathes are rated at the diameter they will swing over the carriage, not the ways. The old Southbend I've got is designed in such a way that the swing over the carriage is the same as over the ways. On the other hand I looked at a Lodge and Shipley awhile back that would swing 19 over the ways but only 15 over the carriage.

In the end it all just depends on the design of the machine and the way the mfg rated it as to what it will actually swing as opposed to what it's advertised as capable of swinging.

huntingreen2day
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your steel lathes !!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leblond 15 x 54. Acurite DRO

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.