Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home at Last!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They'll be no more rain in THIS grain tank... was in
the barn about 1/2 hour after this pic

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just bring it on to Central Ga and I will put it straight to work alongside its brothers and sisters!Pretty nice looking one with hydrostatic drive and a chopper to boot--Whats the story,Theres got to be one.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the one that has the automatic header control for which I was searching for a parts list a while back. It also has automatic steering, intensive separation and the Harold Trimpe cylinder bars, which I do not like. In our own side-by-side comparison, the other 642 was equipped with brand new factory bars and concave, and did a far better job. The one in the picture was in my barn in Wellington until it blew apart in a late summer wind storm in 2010. I didn't really want to drive it 25 miles to the main farm, so it just sat out until now. When I went to pick my beans, the unloading auger wouldn't swing out, because the telescope of the PTO had become corroded. Enraged at myself for allowing this to happen, I dropped everything and decided that machine wasn't going to get rained on one dang more time. It was always thought to be a major hassle to haul it, but it turned out to be a snap. I was a little nervous about the 13' 6" , I was stopping at every bridge and creating a nuisance. Today was the last nice day in northern Ohio, and I got that thing in the barn about 2:30, we got bombed with snow shortly afterward; and I felt pretty good about that. Next summer I would like to find a 6-30 corn head for the automatic steering, or a more modern grain head. We're still running the old pitman heads with Hart-Carter FCB. As far as reliability goes, the old 642s are on par with anybody else, but... in terms of parts availability for a 36-year-old combine, they are the best.

casenut1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i see you live in Wellington, i'm about an hour southwest of you.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What model of Claas combines where the same as the Ford ones??? Was the Fords made just for Ford???

There where a few Claas Dominator machines around here. I think the models where 113 and 115. They where new in the mid 1980s. They had 8 row heads on them. Did a good job. The dealer that sold them dropped Claas and one of the combines set out side for the next twenty years. The weather and mice destroyed the cab. I remember riding it that machine when it was new and liking the auto steer on the corn head. It was a real high tech machine for its time.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At our local Ford dealer, the Claases were red,white and blue when Ford exited the combine business. They were like that only a year or two, then they were green and white. The Dominators that I can recall from that period were the 80, 96, 106, 116, and a really big one that had a number of cylinders, one behind the other, replacing the straw walkers. I do not know what model the 642 would be equivalent to. I'm sure Haley would know, maybe he'll check back in and tell us.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must be pretty close to Spallinger's Combine Parts.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like I've heard they were a Dominator 85... a series older than the 86/96/106/116.
I'd love to have one like that.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now that you mention it the ones I was talking about had the cylinders and no straw walkers. I remember thinking that if they worked that would be better than the shaking the straw walkers did from a longevity stand point.

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Fritz,do you still need the header control valve? The last 642 I bought for parts has the valve on it that I think is like yours.When you can, take a pic of yours and I will see if it is like this one.If it is what you need it wont cost you anything but the shipping to get it to you because I have no plans to ever use it.Out of ten combines this is the only one that had one on it.

Alliscman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a nice looking combine, you wouldn't happen to live on route 18 do you? Saw a guy running corn with one over there the other day. This is a photo of mine, the guy I bought it from put a mudhog from a TR86 under it. He has another gear drive one in the barn and currently runs a 112 CS dominator that has the drums instead of walkers. Looks like it works really good, a L3 gleaner couldn't keep up with him last summer.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, thank you, I'll have it posted Monday.

Alliscman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in my other post if you are local enough Stoller Salvage in Smithville wayne county Ohio has a Claas 106 they are parting out, they have a corn head there for it which I think is still complete.

casenut1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Home at Last! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no, 20 miles south of Mansfield.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.