Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for you reloaders (gun)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well a reloader is a tool right?? So I have dies for reloading 308 but it does not seem to size the brass correctly. I can drop a 308 bullet right down inside the brass after I have ran it through the die. It is sized so I can use a 311 bullet but that from what my reloader manuals says is not correct so what is wrong, maybe the die is wore out or what ???
Thank

jstpa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im no expert but I would pull the decapping rod assembly out. and measure the expander and see if it is the right size. If its not Im sure the company would send you the right one. Also do you have the die turned down in the press far enough? hth jstpa

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried the expander from my 3006 die also and it will not size the neck to the correct size either so think something it odd with this brass or the gun that is shooting the bullets or some such odd problem

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the expander is too large. When you push the brass upward into the die, the neck is squeezed down, On the reverse - down stroke the expander bead pulls up through the neck, sizing it back to what should be a snug fit on the bullet. If that is too large, say .311 instead of .308, bullet will fit loosely. May be manufacturer out the wrong one in.

I like to use Lee neck sizing die, which uses a collet to squeeze the neck down against the center - anvil.

You can get some real expert answers on reloadbench.com - bulletin board.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is Lee die by the way. It came with my re-loader so have no idea much about it. I have dies for 44 mag and 3006 etc and never had any problems but this one is odd. Thinking about buying a new die set for 308 but then this is for a fiend so not sure if it would be worth it in the long run

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By "308" I assume you mean .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO. Is this by any chance a Lee Collet Die? I'm not real familiar with the collet die, but they don't work like a regular sizing die. Most dies size the neck undersize, then the expander opens it back up. The collet die squeezes the neck around a mandrel; looking at the instructions on-line it looks like you need to adjust the die so it bottoms out solidly at the end of the stroke without camming over.

From the instructions:

"ADJUSTMENT FOR LEE PRESSES
Screw the sizing die in until it contacts the shell holder, plus one turn more. Run a case into the die. You will feel the primer being extracted, then the lever will come to an abrupt stop. At this point, the lever must be pushed firmly (min. 25 lbs.) to close the collet and size the neck. Extra bullet grip can be obtained by screwing the die in an additional quarter-turn.

"Other brands of presses that toggle or snap over center at the end of the stroke provide no feel and can damage the collet neck sizing die if adjusted as above. We suggest the die be screwed in until the die contacts the shell holder, plus 2 FULL TURNS This will prevent the press from toggling over center and give the operator feel of the collet closing."

Some folks swear by the Lee Collet die. I see no advantage to it. I've switched to the RCBS X-die for my M14; it's supposed to give much longer brass life than standard full-length sizing dies.

S2710
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old something is WRONG. I think you need to get a good mike and check the expander and also your bullet. Unless I am wrong it can only be one of two things wrong, the expander is too big, or you have 284 dia. bullets, instead of 308 dia. Let us know what you find out.

Bob

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As designed the dies should bring the neck down too small and then the expander should bring it back up to proper size. So your problem could either be the sizer isn't bring the neck down far enough or the expander ball is too large. First mike the expander to see what size it is. .311 is a very popular size for cast bullets in 30 cal. Jacketed bullets are .308. The expander should be very close to just under bullet diameter. I would remove the expander and size a case. It should be too tight to start a bullet in, or at least be very difficult. If not the brass is either very thin or the die is out of spec.

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my Lee 3006 expander. I just kept grinding it down until the bullet felt like it had a snug fit. I would then follow up with a factory crimp die. Been using it like that for over 20 years.

Jim

keh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try a different lot of brass. Or remove expander plug and see how the bullet fit is after resizing only.

KEH

Mashbox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you full length sizing the case? A buddy of mine was having the same problem and I found he was not setting up the sizing die correctly.

Frank (N.Mi.)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you sure it is a .308 die and not a .303? A .303 british uses a .311 bullet.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is in fact a Lee308W-82 die so that is correct

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes doing the full length sizing

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Question for you reloaders (gun) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not have a set of mikes but do have a caliper and just measured the expander and it looks to be right at 308. I will try to size a couple of the brass with out the expander and see what happens

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.