Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative earth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolls
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative earth Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

I believe I have a 1956 Fordson Major(S/N 1298033 or 55) which was gratefully given to me by my brother in-law, which he purchased some years ago.

It has been reconditioned (motor) and reprayed, but the electrical system seems to be all over the shop. All the head light wiring has been cut and it is not charging the battery.

I"m a little confused(which isn"t hard to do) as I have 2 workshop manuals, both say that the tractor is positive earth, I have checked and double checked and my tractor and it is negative earth.This may be the reason the headlight wiring is disconnected and why it is not charging.

On that note, how does it charge the battery, as it appears that the positive terminal from the battery goes to the starter motor and the negative is earthed to the body. There are no other wires going from the regulator to the battery.

Any idea"s

Cheers
Rolls

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative eart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi. If you go to the archive on this site. Search for Fordson Major Wiring. Go page 2 item 32 and work back from there. I posted several wiring diagrams. I've just checked em out and they still appear to be ok. If that doesn't work I will email them direct to you. Mike

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative eart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry forgot this. It comes up as July 1954

Rolls
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative eart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

I have the diagram,but this is also saying it is a positive earth. I"m not sure if my battery is connected correctly (negative earth) but it will start with a jump start. Could this do damage starting it connected to negative earth ?

Cheers
Rolls

Robert Major
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative eart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi
when the tractor was new it was positive earth, Many have been messed with over the years and changed negative. it will not hurt the starter the other way round. all you have to do is re wire the system and polarize the dynamo the correct way for what you choose .
If you fit an alternator instead like common off the shelf G.M.C internal regulator type , you will have to go neg earth to get it to work.
when your done mark the way earth is under the hood so the next guy knows, I have a few here I have bought, with mangled terminals and got to check the wiring to find out what they are wired.
Regards Robert

Rolls
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative eart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Robert.

Thanks for the advice,as far as I can find out it is should be positive earth. When I get a chance in the next week or so, I will swap the terminals back to positive earth and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
Rolls.

Mike Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative eart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi I've Re read this whole item. Yes it should be positive earth--BUT-- Your statement "it will jump start". OK. Thats probably the reason the earth has been changed. Because its seriously bad news trying to jump start a positive earth vehicle from one which is negative and I would suggest that a negative one is usually more easily available, so dont change it back whilst you still need this facility. If you want to convert it properly no problem. either change polarity on the Dynamo or fit an alternator as previously suggested then change the wiring arond on the ammeter. Ignore the starter motor. Mike

Rolls
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Major diesel -12 volt -positive or negative eart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks again Farmer Mike. I will look into getting changed over to negative earth and fitting a alternator.

Cheers
Rolls

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.