Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What am i looking at?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am considering rescueing an old massey. How can I tell exactly what I am looking at? I do know it has a diesel engine...and it did "run when parked". ( dont they all say that) Beyond that I am clueless. I need advice.

Where do i look?
What am i looking for?
Is there anything I should run from?

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for a model/serial number plate. Without more clues though I can't really tell you much more. Many models had a number plate on the left side of the dash/inst. panel. Failing that look around the engine for clues, often there will be a plate on the engine which is a good place to start..........often they are covered in oil/grease.
If you could post a picture that would be the best way to start. As far as things to run away from, I don't think I've heard of too many that are absolute junk. While certain machines are prone to certain problems, what should be bought vs. what shouldn't is often dictated by your level of mechanical skill and pocket book.

Last edited by Inno on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well to start with if it is a 35 or 135 make sure it has the Perkins diesel engine. Some early 35's had the Standard diesel. I would stay away from that engine. Perkins is 3 cylinder, Standard is 4 cylinder. IMHO

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old Massey Harris or Massey Ferguson??????????????

steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Big, this is a Massey Ferguson.

Its at least a 1958 model or newer. The owner said it has sat for 20 years. I did notice that he had the intake pipe covered with a metal cap...that could be a good sign. I remember seeing some hydrolic hoses on the frame in front of the radiator.

I'm going to look at it today with a camera, and i"ll report back later. I'm looking for this tractor to be a winter project.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a continental gas engine, look for milky engine oil, and then
slowly walk away and see if you can find a decent block .... milky
rear end oil is normal and usually only requires a washout and
new oil and rubber gaiters around the gear levers. Look to see if
it has Multi-power, there will be a rod going down into the
gearbox from under the battery tray like the one with the little
bellows affair in my picture. If the tractor will not start and you
cannot check the multi operation(semi automatic overdrive on
every gear) remember to assume it is not working when you are
making your deal as it can get spendy!
Sam

steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here are a few photos of the tractor. I am assuming it doesnt run. The owner and i are talking about a non-running tractor

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a 1959 Massey Ferguson 65. A good tractor. I'm not familiar with diesel engines but according to TractorData the 65 came with either a Continental gas engine or the Perkins 4cyl. diesel engine. If it is the Perkins then it is also a well liked engine.

Whether it's worth buying depends on the price, options and what it needs as well as your level of expertise.

Edit: looks like it might have multi-power, that can be expensive and complicated to work on. Looks like a project!

Last edited by Inno on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Inno, currently he is asking scrap price for it. I guess thats fair.

mike paulson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i love the axle on the front bumper.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well it is one of the best tractors ever built! A Massey Ferguson 65
with the Perkins diesel engine. It definately should be worth
restoring, good news is all parts are available and plentiful.The two
in my photos are gas tractors but will give you some ideas.
Good luck with it if you purchase!
Sam

Steven-Id
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the serial # says it is a 1959 MF65.It is SNM 669??? says it is a utility with a diesel and a 2 stage clutch. I don't know about the multipower however.

Steven

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya know Sam, I hate to agrue with you about anything but beer, but I wouldn't worry about a -what are in these in non diesel? 176 Cont's? But I have a gas 65 with a multipower...and in nearly 2 years...I have yet to tamper with it. Whatever position that lever was in, it hasn't moved... just out of fear of the unknown...
All in all, Steam better just pay the man and sort it out when it gets home.

Dave+Id

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd take it in a heart-beat. The 65 diesel I had was perfect except I needed a loader, so I traded it in for a new Massey.... shoulda, coulda, kept it.

Our Farmer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: What am i looking at? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grab it with both hands.

I have a 58 (British), which I bought in not much better shape than that. Rebuilt the motor, hydraulics,replaced the clutch and all the wheel bearings. Best tractor ever built IMHO. Mine looks not quite as good as the restored model, but she works most days,so she's got an excuse.

That one's US, so parts are plentiful without the quirks mine has. MF dealers are pretty proud of what parts they sell, so you're better off to get what you can direct from Perky, and wheel bearings and such from a parts jobber.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.