Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

American made screwdrivers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtirediron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Morning folks, Had to tear down my wife's treadmill yesterday and replace a lost set screw.
Anyway, Had to go into search mode in my shop- mess-disaster area to find a decent phillips screw driver. Not much to be found. Looking for your recomendations on a good american made (preferably)set. Is Craftsman still made here, any other ideas? I'm going to buy this week. have about $150 max budget. Thanks to all. Tom B.

kito169
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I haven't bought screwdrivers in about ten years but the last ones I bought were S-K brand. They are probably the best ones I've ever had. I got them from Tooltopia.com

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get screwdrivers at auctions in box lots, some are good quality and some are not but they are very cheap.
Zach

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must mean Crapsman...........You need to look far and wide to find a USA made screwdriver. Names like Proto, and Snap on come to mind. Do your research to find out where they are made.

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Craftsman top end screwdrivers are still made here,Mac,Snap-on,S-K are a few others,thanks in advance for buying American,I wish more of us would,and yes you still can if you look hard enough.

Greg K
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know where they are made, but Klein makes some very good screwdrivers. They make alot of electrical tools and are of very good quality.

Rich_WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a Craftsman set on Friday, made in USA. I didnt have to look far and wide either, they had shelves and shelves of them. They even had 2 isle-end displays in other areas of the store. Pretty common screwdriver and readily available.

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg K wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:03:37 11/25/12) I don't know where they are made, but Klein makes some very good screwdrivers. They make alot of electrical tools and are of very good quality.

Yep, Klein is about all I use anymore. The Phillips in particular fits the screws very well.

JRB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, Craftsman screwdrivers are still made here. Look at the Craftsman website.

js305
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Klein not only makes the ones we are used to but the also have a series that has harder metal and a grip that's kinda different. They say USA but I really think this series is made in Germany. They are light weight and strong, about $10 each where you can find them. Any Klein dealer can get them.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The clear plastic handled craftsman screwdrivers are trash. Their pro ones are only slightly better. If your on a budget look at Mayhew "catspaw" they aren't bad. I really favor Matco's, I mostly use my snap-on ones but I actually like the matco better. Once you go and spend the money on a good set you will never go back to the junk ones.

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom IMO I like the Craftsman the best because It really doesn't matter what happens to the Craftsman screwdriver or other hand tool. IT Is The Tool That Is Warranted,,,,Not the Original or subsequent Owners!!!!Use-Abuse-Tear it apart,,, Pitch the broken one on the counter and get you a new one. It is that simple, No long lengthy explanation on what happen. Any Sears store with a Tool Dept and you are on your way, and they are made here still.
Hope this helps.
Later,
John A.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clear handled craftsman screwdrivers have phillips tips that don't grip good and handles that you can't grip good. They are a far cry from a professional screw driver.

JeremyR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Klein gets my vote. I do have craftsman cushion grip that are US look identical my Klein's except the color of the plastic.

Jeremy

steve706
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: American made screwdrivers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Funny thing after first reading this posting I looked at my sk screwdrivers and realized they are made in france... Would rather buy chinese..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters