Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is this tool used for? (pics)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey, Everyone.

I was cleaning out an old roll cab prior to repainting it and found this wrench.

I cleaned it off with a wire wheel and lightly sanded the head to reveal markings.

It is stamped on the upper jaw 'COBS WRENCH CO. WORCHESTER MASS USA' on one side and 'MFG UNDER LCOBS PATS. STEEL'. The stampings are irregular.

The tool is very well made and balanced.

The two jaws forming the head show that it has been used as a hammer at some time in the past.

I believe that the wrench belonged to my Grandfather and was probably made around the turn of the century

Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here that would be called a "monkey wrench". Kind of the precursor of the "crescent wrench" of today. Just an adjustable wrench.
Zach

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We always called it a Ford wrench,I think the proper name is a adjustable spanner wrench,it could have been a predecessor to the crescent wrench,very common to find at farm sales.

big fred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's meant to be thrown into the works.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brad B.,

It is really a neat wrench. Looks like a wall hanger to me. I like the wood on the handle.

I helped my husband remove some small bolts from an F20 at the junkyard...some wood on the crescent wrench handle would have been nice. A little less "ouch".

OldFarmTractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Monkey wrench is what we call it. Great for square headed bolts and nuts. As you can see, it doubled as a hammer when closed. You would have one in your steel wheeled tractor to tighten most of the adjustment bolts on plow or disc.
Monkey Wrench

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around my part of the country it was called a monkey wrench. Dad had a 14"-16" inch that he used a lot. Nuts were mostly square when this wrench was around. I can remember Dad using it on iron and wood wheel wagons to loosen the large nut's that held the wheels on, when he would grease the wheels. Was probably one of his most used wrenches back in the day.

PJH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brad - if you examine that wrench very closely, I think you'll discover, based on the wear patterns evident in your photos, that you not only have in your possession a monkey wrench, but quite possibly a left handed monkey wrench. A rare find, indeed. Congratulations on your find.

Just kidding, of course - I have two of those, a big one and a little one, and now you've forced me to go out and shine them up to see if they're also made by the Cobs Wrench Company.

Paul

Archie McArdle

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 of them ,the name is "Coes" There's alot of info on them at the "Alloy Artifacts " website ........

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, you got me.

Upon further inspection the name is indeed Coes.

Anyhoo thanks to you and all the others who replied!

Brad

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Brad Bucknan,

I got the brother of your wrench AND his cousin.
Same markings on mine.
Guido.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be careful, that could be the murder weapon Col. Mustard used in the library. LoL

NEKS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As a small kid I remember dad taking the nut off of the end of the axle on the high wooden wheel box wagon to grease them. He had a wrench like that he called a monkey wrench. Had a little bucket of axle grease that was really black and was very shiny. He smeared the grease on with a wooden shingle. The bucket was black and white checkered and had the name Black Sambo Grease on the side.

dpendzic
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that"s a monkey wrench--i have a two footer and use it for square head nuts and also to adjust the tracks on my D2

Leedog
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this tool used for? (pics) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have three that were my grandfather's. He replaced the wooden handles with leather after the wood went away. He very well may have gotten them from the landfill in Des Moines, Iowa. I know that he was afrontrunner in recycling. For years he carried an empty gunny sack and always came back with one man's junk that he turned into shorter hoes, rakes & shovels. I will try to take pics & post.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.